Got Quail!!!!!

jaytee

Well it was a somewhat cooler day today so I decided to fill up the backpack sprayer with Remedy and start spot spraying my Sericia Lespedeza. Sprayed a total of 6 gallons on Sericia, thistles and a fair amount of mulit-flora rose. Seen a lot of rabbits, jumped a fawn and a brood of quail. Probably 10 of the little guys, maybe more. Here's the kicker. Of course you all are aware of all of the habitat work I've been doing here, establishing NWSG, building covey headquarters areas, planting shrubs, killing fescue, ect. Well guess where I jumped 'em at. Right in the middle of a bunch of rank fescue:mad::mad: Don't they know I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to make this place a better place to raise a family. The nerve!! :D But seriously, it was a nice sight to see them, the little guys were about the size of a bluebird, they could fly but not too well. Guess I know what area I'll be working on next year!!

Glad you saw some birds....

I've been hearing a good number of birds calling this spring and early summer.
Should be a good year in KY to chase Gent Bob....if I can gain access to private ground.

Of course you all are aware of all of the habitat work I've been doing here, establishing NWSG, building covey headquarters areas, planting shrubs, killing fescue, ect. Well guess where I jumped 'em at. Right in the middle of a bunch of rank fescue:mad::mad: Don't they know I've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours trying to make this place a better place to raise a family.

Upland birds love cool season grasses too;)

This evening I was pheasant scouting an area with a mixture of cool seasons, warm seasons, Forbes, and shrubs. Some native, some invasive. The area is loaded with wildlife including pheasants, rabbits, deer, and in the low areas ducks, geese, frogs, turtles, you name it. A good multi-culture is very good for wildlife. They'll utilize it all:)

Yes, and I can tell Ya. There have been more pheasants hatched and raised in Smooth Brome Grass then all the other grasses put together.:eek:

But,:) Smooth Brome is "Not Native Not Natural" so get rid of it by any means you can.;):cheers:

JT, glad you seeing good broods.:thumbsup:

Well I will be getting rid of the fescue or thinning it at least. I'm either gonna kill it out and replant clover or I'll fence the area off and put in some cows and let them thin it for me.

Back