Got paid to fish this w/e!!

There has to be a catfisherman or 2 on this site somewhere, if not, consider this to be bragging to the friends I have on this site.

A buddy and I got in our 2nd catfishing tournament the other day. The first one was on the MO river a couple years back w/ 80 other boats. We ended up getting 11th out of the deal.....pretty decent considering we'd never even fished the MO before.

Yesterday we were in a day tournament at Tuttle Creek near Manhattan. We caught 33lbs. of fish, w/ our biggest being an 18.65 yellow cat/flathead. We actually lost a 15+lb. channel right at the boat shortly before weigh-in, and ended up placing 2nd by about 11lbs:mad: I got over the frustration when we received our checks (one for biggest fish and one for 2nd place). Man, I sure wish I could place in a couple fishing tourneys every week:rolleyes: I could get out of this factory and "slave away" on the boat everyday. Oh well, makes for a good fantasy anyway:D

Well that's great keep it up and you might just pay for a hunting trip or a new shotgun. Me and my brother always read the tournament results for the lake we were fishing and are usually convinced our stringers were bigger than the winners. Maybe we should try our hand at some bass tourneys.

Well that's great keep it up and you might just pay for a hunting trip or a new shotgun. Me and my brother always read the tournament results for the lake we were fishing and are usually convinced our stringers were bigger than the winners. Maybe we should try our hand at some bass tourneys.

I highly recommend you do so. Best of luck to you when you do.

Any tips or techniques you would care to share????????:thumbsup:

Cut bait in structure! Later, guts in structure if you're talking channels. Drift w/ cut bait for blues. Use mostly live bait near structure or in deep holes for flatties.

KB your extremely lucky all I can manage to do is spend money when I go fishing you could have not bragged as much and said you feel out of the boat LOL

Try putting ivory soap with cut bait it works goooooooood. An Old man told me that one. Congrats on your 2nd place finish you should be proud and THANKS for sharing:10sign:

Try putting ivory soap with cut bait it works goooooooood. An Old man told me that one. Congrats on your 2nd place finish you should be proud and THANKS for sharing:10sign:

Bar soap or liquid dish soap? Let me know, I will give it a try. I usually use shad sides or live shiners. I did have good luck one night on a Rapala, believe it or not.

Bar soap or liquid dish soap? Let me know, I will give it a try. I usually use shad sides or live shiners. I did have good luck one night on a Rapala, believe it or not.

Bar soap:) can catch with just the soap but bait soap combo always seems to catch more fish for me then bait alone. Chicken livers and hearts also work good. Hope it works for you.

Cat fisherman from way back. Spent many a nights on the river catching channels and flat heads.We start a camp fire and cast out the guts and catch em all night. Done well on guts, cut bait even live bait of secret origins, or crawlers. That sounds fun, I could get into that. My biggest is 32lbs.

Here are some pics. The fat flattie in my buddy's hands weighed 18.65lbs. and took biggest fish in the tourney.

Thanks for the replies and for checking out the pics.

Nice catch!!

I'm headed down to Kaw lake in Oklahoma next week for some jug fishing. We usually do very well down there. Use cut shad and live perch mostly and catch blues, channels, and flatties

KB you make me jealous. Congratulations!

It has been a long long time since I was catfishing. Once upon a time, in the land of Southwest Kansas, there ran a river, the Arkansas River and young Maynard Reece Byrd tagged along with his big brother, eight years his elder on all night fishing adventures. We baited holes, set limb lines and trout lines and fished all night, well, I fished all night, since about 2AM my brother would crash by the campfire and it would be up to me to run the lines the rest of the night. Maybe those nights was the making of a sea captain, not me, but my brother. For the last quarter century he has been chasing sport fish in the Pacific in Southeast Alaska. Now my brother fights a battle of his life with the dreaded curse of cancer. Me, I turned out to be just a rancher and dirt farmer and the river, well, it is no more. Memories, I sure have a lot of them and they are good.

KB you make me jealous. Congratulations!

It has been a long long time since I was catfishing. Once upon a time, in the land of Southwest Kansas, there ran a river, the Arkansas River and young Maynard Reece Byrd tagged along with his big brother, eight years his elder on all night fishing adventures. We baited holes, set limb lines and trout lines and fished all night, well, I fished all night, since about 2AM my brother would crash by the campfire and it would be up to me to run the lines the rest of the night. Maybe those nights was the making of a sea captain, not me, but my brother. For the last quarter century he has been chasing sport fish in the Pacific in Southeast Alaska. Now my brother fights a battle of his life with the dreaded curse of cancer. Me, I turned out to be just a rancher and dirt farmer and the river, well, it is no more. Memories, I sure have a lot of them and they are good.

Awesome story and thank you for sharing it. I too wish that river wouldn't have run dry. If there were a river for me to do my fishing in, I'd have moved out there right out of high school. Great memories you have shared with us. I love those night fishing trips, though I didn't get to experience my first until I was 16. Sorry to hear of your brother's plight with cancer. If he's half the man you are, I'm sure he'll hold up to it better than most.

"Just a farmer"........good choice for a way to spend a life if you ask me. Much better than wasting away in a factory somewhere. One day, I'll turn in my corporate credit card for a life of serenity. What makes a man isn't the decisions he makes that bring him more "wealth". It's whether he has the strength to resist the temptations of society in order to live the way he wants. You my friend, have chose to live the way you want and I for one respect that a great deal!

Back