Good lunch, McPherson/Hillsboro?

M. R. Byrd

All right you Kansas foodies, I need to make a run to Hillsboro to pick up a trailer and need to find my wife a good chicken fried steak for lunch. Any suggestions?

Bon appetit

Never eatin here but?.....might have to take highway 50.
Sedgwick ? Cy's Hoof & Horn

Address: 425 N. Commercial Ave., 316-772-5329

Distance from Wichita: 23 miles

Hours: The kitchen is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays.

Cy Lampe owns this well-known steakhouse, which specializes in ribeyes, filets, KC strips and chicken fried steaks. It's a country sort of place, with deer and buffalo heads mounted on the wall and the Kansas delicacy known as calf fries sizzlin' the fryer.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/30/1425162/food-worth-driving-for.html#storylink=cpy

I have heard about the Neighbors Cafe in Mac.
That sounds better.

We were just in Hillsboro on Sat. on a Ks. trip. We ate breakfast at a little coffee shop/bakery. We ended up eating lunch in Strong City at the Ad Astra.....if your ever through at meal time:) thats a nice place.

Where in Strong City is Ad Astra? We used to travel the southern route to KC just to get a chicken fry at the Flint Hills in Strong City. It was the truck stop on the north side. Our last trip there was the worst chicken fry in our life, so we quit, then found out it had closed.

Don't know about chicken fried steak, but there's a decent mexican place in downtown Hillsboro. It's on the west side of the main north-south drag.

My wife and I both took home boxes for our evening meal. Was a good meal, great atmosphere and we will return. Wish it was on our travel route between Dodge and KC.

Cy's is right in your back yard. You lucky guy.

There used to be a place in Whitewater, I think, that served calf fries one evening a week that I wanted to try. Cy's is about the same drive, calf fries and chicken fried.:)

That makes me think about a place over in Rossville. I think it was the VFW. Once a month during the summer I believe they would have a turkey fry. Gosh those were good!

I'm hungry and I just ate lunch! :eek:

Had a wonderful steak and salad at the Desert Rose in Pampa this evening. It is close enough to Pheasant Country to make the drive down here. "Two thumbs up" from Baggins :)

Back