Good Hunting in Nebraska

Bird-man

I have had a couple really good weekends out in my favorite area west of McCook.

Took 13 roosters, and 3 quail over 3 weekends.

This is Murphy on point at one of my favorite spots. He is just turning 3 in a couple months and having a great year.

Hope everyone is having a good season.

Last edited:
Another picture

I think I have another picture of my dog with a day's limit in Nebraska. It has been such a good year. I am planning on going back for each of the next 3 weekends until the season ends, and then 7 long months until blue grouse opens Sept 1st. Sad.

Last edited:
That area looks familiar. I was up in that area a few weeks ago for a couple of days, didn't do nearly as well, saw 2 roosters and missed them both! My dog's a youngster, he'll be a lot better next year.

That area is actually northwest of Trenton. I met the farmer who owns it quite a few years ago. He won't let me hunt it before Thanksgiving when his kids and some neighbors have a big pheasant hunt, but after that I can go in. I only hunt it 2-3 times a year in Dec and Jan and there are always birds there. I'm pretty sure no one else hunts it. This guy was hard to track down. So, I try not to put too much pressure on the birds there.

Good luck with your dog. Mine is just about to turn 3. Last year was pretty challenging. He was a crazy teenager. But this year he has really settle down and is working great.

Good luck with your pooch.

I had the dog out today on a pay to hunt ranch here in Arkansas, had some rock solid points on quail, time enough to snap some pics then walk in and flush the bird. Pretty darn good for an 8 month old dog.

Great pics...looks like you've got the beginnings of a good bird dog there. Great lines and love the intensity.

Of course you have the crazy 2's ahead of you. Like teenagers it seems 2 year old bird dogs have a tendency to get so excited they make a lot of blunders. My dog is almost 3 and had a great year. Really settled down.

Last year I remember a number of times he would be quartering so fast that when he hit scent he would cork screw into a point and his nose would be almost touching his tail. Funny stuff.

good luck with your pooch.

Yes, indeed. It is a 5 hour driver for me, but I get out there for 8-10 weekends every year. I try to take a Friday or Monday off, to stretch it. Bird numbers were great last year. Not so good this year. But, just being there is worth the trip.

By the way, that is one good looking Springer on your web page. When my dog was younger he was constantly mistaken for a Springer. He has almost the same coloring as that dog on your page.

Only one weekend left for me. I am planning on leaving Friday 1/27 and hunting the last 4 days of the season. Then 7 long months before the blue grouse opener. It is always a sad time for me. I work out of the house and my dog will sit at the door to my office for the first couple weeks. It is like he is puzzled that we're not heading out to hunt after 5 months of non-stop action.

Oh, well. Good luck with your dogs.

Nebraska countryside

:coolpics: You guy's have some beautiful places in NE to hunt. It lookd awsome to me when I ran the National by Beatrice. Just beautiful as far as one could see.:thumbsup:

Here are a few more countryside pictures. Might even be able to find a bird or two in some of these spots:
P1010038.jpg

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010079.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg

I gotta say I have now ran in OH,WI,MN,TX,ND,IA,and IL and Nebraska was the nicest cover by far as a whole. I am planning to go back for some regular trials. The dogs shine in that stuf and it just made the whole dog/man experience much more fun. It will be sad to see much of it get plowed up. Where we had the trial, the land owner sighed and said to me take a good look now while your here, cause it is all coming out next year. And he had a whole lot of land in CRP. He went on to explain the burms and other aplications used. It was interesting to talk to a guy from the dreaded dust bowl days. He sort of had a sad look, almost as if he was scared of what was coming. I said thanks for having us and ran my dog. I believe there was close to 20 or so turkeys flushed out there as well in the grass land. Springers were thinking those are some big dam roosters right there, man.:D

Last edited:
Back