goin north

hunter 88

ive been thinking about goin north up around Washington co. opening weekend this year. anybody know if hunting has been good up there in past years?

Hunter88,

I didn't really hunt in Washington County last year, but I have hunted in Cloud and Ottawa counties for the last 2 years. It has been good to me considering fuel prices and the relative close distance from my house. It isn't the best pheasant range by any means, but if you're looking for a place that has some WIHA access and some pheasants, I think Washington county would provide decent opportunities. The best quail hunts I've experienced in the past 5 years took place in Cloud county. I truly enjoy the thrill of the quail/pheasant combination opportunity. Chasing a few bobs with a better than usual chance of seeing a rooster is way better than hunting only pheasants or only quail. There is nothing better than expecting some quail to come up, but instead having a rooster surprise you. Point is, the right places in that part of the state should provide some exciting combination opportunities, but don't expect to see the numbers you would in parts of western KS. Good luck. Take a youth with you if you get the chance.

Last edited:
North Central Kansas

I hunted western Republic county last year and the year before. Bird numbers were excellent. I have not hunted Washington county but is just east of Republic.

Back