Glen Elder

vdduplander

Anyone hunt Glend Elder area? I went late last year and only saw a few educated birds at a distance. Is it any better this year?

Sounds like the way it was when I was out there last year. I never saw any quail, it Glen Elder mainly just hold pheasants? Thanks for the update

glen elder numbers

most of what i hunt is glen elder, i go there every weekend from kc. the numbers this year are better than ever. all i have see is big numbers of young roosters. i have limited out every time out. the key to glen elder is the knowing you are hunting educated birds. think of all the places that other hunters go and go elsewhere. i will say the best thing is me and 2 of my friends are the willows and marshes. nobody hunts them cause it is to hard to hunt. i print out arial images and plan out every route and every blocker. this is the only place i know that you can get up over a hundred birds at a single time and do it over and over so long as you follow the willows. glen elder also has some secrete places to hunt where some locals tear down the public hunting signs every year. those places are crazy with birds too. when we get tired of hunting glen elder we go for a drive looking for all the walkin areas around glen elder and that is were we always finish our limit.

wow that is amazing to me
we went out there early season and would walk milo field after milo field and see only 1-5 birds per field. The crp fields weren't all that productive either. and they were big fields as well. The only way you can tell if bird numbers are up our down is to go out there and find out yourself.

last weekends glen elder hunt

Hunting pheasants around Glen Elder again for the third time this year has been a blast. With the snow on the ground the pheasants were out all day, and massed up in their late season #'s. We drove up on one piece of walk in hunting that had great #'s of birds last time, there were 30 birds standing on the side of the road this time. i jumped out and just as they flew i shot at one rooster in the middle of the pack and killed five with that shot which put me over the limit and my friend john had to claim a couple, probably never happen again. we were met by groups of birds like this all day. The kid in the middle was more than happy to go along and act as a bird dog for us.
View attachment 84View attachment 85

I went to Glen Elder 2 weeks ago and didnt do so well. We went during the week when the snow was still 6 inches deep with ice under it and it was tough walking.\
We did get 3 roosters to hold points tho, but didnt see many birds. I think the birds are there cause we saw tracks everywhere. There were also hunters everywhere also.
Sounds like if u follow his plan about hunting the willows i think he said u should do ok.

I also hunted around the glen elder area and saw alot of birds and tons of tracks in the snow. But the birds were super wild and they got up probly 200 yards in front of us. There was alot of birds though and we did manage to take home just a few but it was indeed a tough hunt.

Geln Elder

Do you lease land in Glen Elder or do you just ask for permission? I have been there 6 times or so over the last 2 years and have never seen a single willow. Are you hunting around the lake?

Hunting Glen Elder

As another commentator noted, the best places to hunt at Glen Elder (federal public hunting) are the wild areas, especially down along the inlets. It's rough but that's where the spooked birds hang out, especially in the tall stuff. You need blockers and good timing to find them in the food strips after the first weekend or two of the season. For one or two hunters, the weedy and woody edges along the high side of the sides of the inlets are also good.

Back