Giving The Grouse a Break

sebefus

Gave up on pheasants in SW Michigan many years ago and was fortunate to be turned on to grouse which have kept me busy in the fall. Perhaps to relive my childhood figured I'd plan a trip with my GSP to SE Iowa the week of Thanksgiving to, at a minimum, convince myself wild pheasants still exist. Worst case is I get some exercise, meet some folks and provide some micro-economic stimulation.

The Iowa DNR website is awesome and with the hunting atlas, IHAP tracts/maps and road survey info I realize SE Iowa may not be the best hunting but given the time I have figured I'd try that first. Looks like the game distribution map shows in SE Iowa the pheasant population is heaviest in Iowa, Poweshiek and Washington counties but I don't see many walk-on public properties (IHAP tracts). I'm hoping that there will be private land owners in these areas that would be kind enough to allow access.

I'm trying my best to be informed but any advice or suggestions (e.g., what town/hotel to use as a base) would be welcome and appreciated.

Scott

It's been a long time since I hunted that area, but when we did, we stayed in the Tama / Toledo area and hunted the public land around northern Iowa co. Getting permission around thanksgiving can be tough. Lots of farmers have family in for the holiday, and save the hunting access for them. My advice is to put in the extra road time, and hunt north central or north west. Usually more birds, and definitely more public land. Good luck out there.

It's been a long time since I hunted that area, but when we did, we stayed in the Tama / Toledo area and hunted the public land around northern Iowa co. Getting permission around thanksgiving can be tough. Lots of farmers have family in for the holiday, and save the hunting access for them. My advice is to put in the extra road time, and hunt north central or north west. Usually more birds, and definitely more public land. Good luck out there.

Thanks very much for the recommendations and especially the insight around the Thanksgiving week. Will reevaluate my plans accordingly.

Back