Getting to the Two Month Mark

bones

Its getting close to the 60 day mark before we can hunt birds. Time to get out the shotguns and oil them up and rifle through gear. Make sure the mice in the garage have not nested in the pockets of the vest, separate the steel from the lead, high brass from low. Take the pup out to run instead of neighborhood walks. Plenty to do in anticipation of the time of year we all love.

I know my Abby is amped for the season. My hunting partner dropped by the house to go fishing and I came home to find my boots and an old vest dragged onto my bed. She is also starting to point everything again; sparrows and finches, moths under the porch light, even airplanes. A hot air balloon behind the house did have her thoroughly angry, she really did not know what to make of it and a tirade of barking and growling ensued.

It ain't long folks, hope is just around the corner.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

Make sure that there are no widows in the boots and vests as well! :D

When I was a teenager I put my foot into a boot, only to discover that a mouse had set up shop in there.

Planning to do some grouse scouting a soon.

:cheers:

For me it's right at about 65-70 days.
First hunt is in the big grasslands, Huns and Sharpies.
Probably a couple days in "Blues" country to. The vistas are unreal. :cheers:

first up

my first outing will be for dove, the way I hunt them, mostly walking around old farmsteads, I let the dogs just run, helps get them in shape, toughens their pads and just overall good for them, in as much as I am never more than 100 or so yards from the truck, water is always close by. much enjoy it.

cheers

I went out to Colorado Clays last weekend to shoot ... I did pretty good for me, but flushing birds are a whole 'nother story. :D

Went up to Morgan County today, lots of tall grass, wheat and corn. If there are birds out there, they have some fine habitat this year.

Heck, I have been having fun shooting my new O/U CZ 12gauge canvasback gold :p

I have to break it in...also been out shooting at field trials and hunt tests:D

I have training my 2yr old yellow male pointing lab Remi getting him ready for the next hunt tests.....

The one thing I will be doing is looking at buying new gear, clothes, equipment, shells, and also trying to outfit my ever growing 15yr old son (now he is 5'10 1/2 and 159lbs :eek::eek: ) He needs new upland hunting clothes...and boots!!

Greg

Took our youngster, Cowboy, up to Cheyenne (Horse Creek Road Area) yesterday to do some NAVHDA training and to scope out the grounds for the Natural Ability test in 2 weeks. I was blown away by how much grass there was up there - very tall. The training went well ... especially the pointing and the pheasant track. Cowboy is not a fan of water, he swam 2x, but didn't have a whole lot of enthusiasm. Met some nice folks and picked up a few training tips.

Well now we are under the month and half mark. Got my youngest his hunter education. Starting to use the treadmill so I do not die while looking for grouse with Matt and Dan. Trying to spend 30 minutes a day throwing the retriever dummy for my pup Abby. Not sure how much this helps she seems to be well muscled from all her cavorting around the house and yard as it is.

Couldn't imagine a GSP as a kennel dog but her exuberance for the hunt is unreal and can be hard to control in the off season. The heel and sit commands are the only way to keep her out od trouble sometimes. She takes anything long and thin for a shotgun and races around the house in anticipation. At two years and 7 months this will be her third season but I guess she is still a puppy in reality.

Hopefully the rains continue out east and the hail stays at a minimum.

Back