Getting pretty dead on here

Remington44

Seeing as how there isnt much talk going on here.. I was wondering if any of the older guys could share some old pheasant stories from back in the gold ol' days. Since im only 22 and I didnt get to see the old days lol.. ill share one my dad has told me a few times. My dad used to do a lot of work for a local farmer who had a lot of farm land spread around the area. So naturally my dad was one of the few who had permission to hunt the majority of the farm land. The farmer had been having trouble with people trespassing his property and hunting it. So he told the local cops to keep an eye out for hunters on his land. Well my dad, the farmer, and my dads best friend Gale were hunting a good honey hole where they always got some birds. It was located next to some railroad tracks. The tracks sat up about 10 feet higher then the farm land so if you were standing up on the road next to the tracks you wouldnt have a clear shot on some of the hunting area. My dad and the farmer were about 25 yards behind Gale. As they were walking a cop pulled up and called over my dad and the farmer, thinking maybe they were trespassers. As they walked up the cop realized they werent as he recognized the farmer. Just as they started talking, Gale was with my dads gsp about 25 yards up. And Gale had no idea they were talking to the cop. My dads gsp goes on point, and Gale proceeds to kick up the rooster and shoots it. Well obviously the cop not knowing Gale was even over there. Screams, grabs his gun, and jumps through his open window and starts screaming for back up. As my dad looks over at Gale and hes jumping up and down with joy not realizing what had happened. As you could imagine the cop was not very happy lol

My dad had land in Livingston county, IL back in the 1960's. One day his group of 5 hunters shot 14 roosters. The limit back then was 3 per hunter. They were so excited they got a hotel room and decided to hunt the next day. The following day, same hunters, same general area, only produced 1 bird. My dad said it was if all the birds had vanished. LOL

Bob

My dad had land in Livingston county, IL back in the 1960's. One day his group of 5 hunters shot 14 roosters. The limit back then was 3 per hunter. They were so excited they got a hotel room and decided to hunt the next day. The following day, same hunters, same general area, only produced 1 bird. My dad said it was if all the birds had vanished. LOL

Bob

I was just looking through some of my pheasant/pheasant hunting pictures from Liv. County (prior to 1996). Man we had some good shooting down there! We used to work a field for an hour or two and produce 4 or 5 wild roosters.

After the nasty winter of 95/96 it's never been the same.:( In fact, I've only been back down there 1 time since. It's no longer worth the drive.

I live in mclean county, right on the border of livingston county. I go out by forest, to an old railroad track area, i get a rooster everytime. There still around you just have to search hard, my dog helps out alot too.

Back