Getting out for the early Prairie Chicken Season

Bird Crazy

Hey all. I am new to the forum and am not from Kansas (from Missouri actually) and am wondering where the best places are to go Prairie Chicken hunting. I have a new German Shorthair that I am wanting to get working before Pheasant season gets here.
By the way I hunted around Bison Ks. last year and it was incredible.

Good Luck,
Bird Crazy

I prefer the Flint Hills personally. I'm assuming you're hunting public land. If that is the case, you may look even further west. I saw quite a few chickens in Osborne county last year and they're everywhere in between. The further west you go the more selection you have in terms of public land. Good luck!

Thanks Kansas. What type of cover should I try and hunt for these wiley birds? I am use to hunting pheasant in heavy cover.

I wouldn't hunt good pheasant cover for chickens. I've seen them in tall, patchy grass early in the morning. You're better off hunting them in knee to thigh high grass though. If you're in the Flint Hills, I would recommend knee high grass on the side or top of a gently rolling hill. They like to be able to see things coming. Sometimes they're in low-lying areas that don't have super heavy cover. I do see them in wheat stubble occasionally. Outside of the Flint Hills I've seen them on power lines around lunchtime. I'm not sure what they're doing there, other than maybe loafing until it is time to go back in the grass and eat some bugs. I've never seen them on power lines in the Flint Hills.

Most importantly, hunt INTO the wind and use a full choke with 4's. Expect 25 yard flushes (if your dog works close) and try to get the trigger pulled before 40 yards. You'll have to be quick. They only LOOK like they're going slow:eek: but they're moving at a pretty good clip. I prefer to sit and shoot them as they fly into bean/milo fields later in the year.

Prairie Drifter or MR Byrd may have something more to add. Early chicken season can be a great way to some scouting for pheasant season:thumbsup:

You could view a topo map on the internet or google "Flint Hills" and find the Wikipedia page. The Flint Hills stop just before Junk City if I'm not mistaken.

Actually, I have never hunted the greater prairie chicken, since we only have the lessers out in the SW. I have heard that hunting the greaters during that early season is lots of fun with a pointing dog, since the juveniles will hold.

I would love to try it sometime, especially with my new GSP. My good friend in Elk County used to hunt them all the time, but hasn't for years due to no birds. I would love to get him out on a hunt down that way.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back