Getting older and I am starting to notice it.

remy3424

I just replied to a thread here and it hit me. I turned 60 this year, I have a couple pains that just don't go away, my hand, arm and leg strength loss is noticeably. I made a remark about using a gun I know and trust. We will see how the season goes, but I might be joining the massing who need a lighter weight gun. I was kind of hoping this would be happening closer to 70 and the likely end of my current dog's career. Maybe I just need to get more active and make an intentional effort on my conditioning at this point...something I really have never had to do. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago I was one of the young ones, now I am often the oldest and am the oldest that is doing the walking. This ride goes fast, hold on and have fun along the way! Hope have a decade left but nothing is guaranteed, so enjoy them all like they are your last.

I'm considerably younger than you but a couple items that might help with endurance and energy. They seem to help me.

Shorter hunts - long walks over uneven terrain wear you out quicker.

Avoid the heat - warmer temps not only saps my dog's energy quicker, but mine too.

Another item to remember is stay hydrated. Even when its colder out, you need it.

Amen! Take an anti-inflammatory before going afield. What about regular exercise and some weights? They help.

I am somewhat lucky that our ground isn't extremely hilly so inclines are not an issue, my hunting begin at 8:00 and I can't remember hunting past noon, usually earlier. The cover I hunt in is almost always tall and thick, that is what will drain me (it is always high steps) and I fear my 11-87 will start feeling heavy as well. I should have mentioned, I have had a life-long advesion to exercise for the sole sake of exercising....but I might need to find time for it, as it can see what is coming if I don't. I have been letting the season slowly get me into shape, might need to start earlier in these coming seasons.

Last edited:
Back