Getting closer

bones

Bird season is getting closer. Getting to the 3 week mark for Duskies, doves, and sage hens. Anticipation is killing me, not expecting a super stellar season on pheasant but know there will be some birds to be had. It's also my pups first season and my first season with my own dog. Can't wait to see how she does after some formal/professional training. Will also be my sons first season actually hunting instead of following dad. Those to things will make it one of those "magic seasons" whether or not bird numbers are low or not.

Seeing all kinds of mourning doves in the area lately. Almost seems as if they have pushed the eurasians out. Saw signs of grouse where I found them last year. Need to check my pheasant grounds and see how things are. Drought still has a steel grip on the area. My only real hope is that the winter was mild, a fairly wet spring, and a few thunderstorms as of late. I am sure the birds will be holed up in islands of descent cover. Last year my favorite fields had tons of wild sunflower, so if those plants grew at least I'd have some place to start.

Here's to a good 'urn no matter the actual outcome,
bones

Yes it will be interesting to see how things turn out in terms of pheasant numbers. Interestingly, I was reading an article on the direct correlation between grasshopper numbers and drought. For a pheasant, a grasshopper is both something to eat and a drink. ;-) I guess we will see how the year turns out. Fingers are crossed that there are good numbers. On the plus side, the winter was very mild and there haven't been many gigantic hail storms this year.

Really doesn't mater what the bird numbers are... The simple fact that a day out watching your dog work doing his/her best for you, sharing a day with you hunting partner and enjoying your time out with gun in hand make everything worthwhile....

I tell you where I live in the Springs, the eursians have taken over. Are the legal to take or are they considered "feral" like pigeons?

Bones, sent you a PM.....getting close, real close...

Greg

Eurasians are open year round with no limit...... If you shoot them from Sept 1 to Nov 9 make sure to leave all their feathers on otherwise they count towards your daily bag limit........

I hear ya, got a 3 day grouse hunt planned. Hoping my Sharptail spot produces for my 12 year old, and I've already got a bead on the Duskies, just hope they stay put ;)

Eurasians are open year round with no limit...... If you shoot them from Sept 1 to Nov 9 make sure to leave all their feathers on otherwise they count towards your daily bag limit........

Thanks...I will do that. Now if I could just blast the ones that roost over by my house....I mean this is no joke, I saw literally a flock of them the other day. My labs run out into our field where they feed somtimes and chase them.

Maybe I will put my pigeon trap out and see if I can trap some:eek:

Greg

My lab eats dove when I knock'em down.... He just gulps and down they go... Not that I care all too much as I generally give dove away.... Kill all those little noisy buggers you can.... I'll stick to smacking grouse...

I am thinking I will give grouse a try this year. I used to hunt willow ptarmigan when I was stationed up in Alaska, on snow shoes....the season was in Feb/Mar.....

Greg

Back