Geese

Tons of resident canada geese here in MN. They are a nuisance. They shit all over the golf courses and parks and lawns.

I think a fair amount of them don't even migrate south anymore either. They just hang out by the river all winter.

This is why all the duck hunters in Louisiana are down in the dumps. It doesn't get cold enough to push a big migration that far south. Global warming.

It's funny to get on the Arkansas duck hunting boards and listen to the guys cry about how there's no ducks because of the OOSers, or because of something the DNR did. Fact of the matter is that we are in a warm cycle (whether it is manmade, man influenced, or just nature, I'm not going to argue) and it's having an impact on wildlife. When I was a kid, Veterans Day was pretty much the end of duck hunting, as everything would close up. Last year, I jumped a bunch of mallards while pheasant hunting in early January.

All that said, I came across some Bluebills and Redheads hunting this past weekend, plus I had to scrape frost off the windshield this morning. We're getting there.

When I was a kid, Veterans Day was pretty much the end of duck hunting, as everything would close up. Last year, I jumped a bunch of mallards while pheasant hunting in early January.

I've stated this before, but regardless of what people think on climate change there is obvious data that our seasons are opening way too early these days. We just had the warmest two Septembers on record in 2023 and 2024. And yet, hunting seasons are opening up like there is nothing changing from 100 years ago.

Deer archery season, ruffed grouse, and waterfowl season opened here in mid September. It was dang 80+ degrees out for most of the month minus a few "average" days of cooler weather. Pheasant season opening on Oct 12 is ridiculous. It should open the last Saturday in October and stay open through mid January instead. The DNR needs to more closely align these seasons with an obvious warming trend.

I just came back from Saskatchewan a week ago. Almost no ducks around, very few Canadas but we limited on specks three days in a row and came home with possession limits.

Just hasn't been cold enough to move them down yet.
Hunting specs is awesome fun in Canada is a waterfowl paradise!! I hope to go next year.I have been 5 times.Its unbelievably spectacular at times.

Tons of resident canada geese here in MN. They are a nuisance. They shit all over the golf courses and parks and lawns.

I think a fair amount of them don't even migrate south anymore either. They just hang out by the river all winter.
That's true, they stay in one area year round.

I've stated this before, but regardless of what people think on climate change there is obvious data that our seasons are opening way too early these days. We just had the warmest two Septembers on record in 2023 and 2024. And yet, hunting seasons are opening up like there is nothing changing from 100 years ago.

Deer archery season, ruffed grouse, and waterfowl season opened here in mid September. It was dang 80+ degrees out for most of the month minus a few "average" days of cooler weather. Pheasant season opening on Oct 12 is ridiculous. It should open the last Saturday in October and stay open through mid January instead. The DNR needs to more closely align these seasons with an obvious warming trend.
Yes,September in Montana felt like August. I agree, they should start later.I like January hunting but I think it's hard on pheasant. In Montana, January can be very cold and snowy.Last year it wasn't.

Generally speaking, I think most of us would prefer to hunt when the temps are 20 degrees as opposed to when they're 80 degrees.

September was essentially an extension of summer here too. And so far October is not looking like much of a fall month either.

I'm bummed. I usually take off Thursday Friday of this week to hunt mn roosters. I'm not doing it this year, too warm. I'm not even sure about this weekend. I'll probably hunt a morning or last hour of light. Looks like I'll be watching the vikings game. 77 and sunny is way too warm to bring Skye out, she's a couple months shy of 9 years old.

Last edited:
Back