Gaiters Help

BritChaser

Hunted a couple of days in my new OR gaiters. Where I noticed the difference was in kochia, not so much in grass.

good luck. i ordered a pair of danners that had a toe cap like the models above, hoping it would be slick and hard. instead it was soft and tacky. i sent them back.

I hunt in Danner "Vital" boots. Hard rubber impregnated leather toe cap that doesn't drag in the brush/grass. The boots have a waterproof lining that has never failed me. The sole also isn't so rough that it drags. If you walk a lot in heavy cover you will notice your boots dragging really quickly if they have a soft rubber toe cap and/or heavy lug soles. Also, I started with Kennetrek gaiters which at the time were almost $80 a pair. They appear to have come down in price a bit, but I'm betting their quality has as well. Anyway, the Kennetrek gaiters have a soft finish, which is quiet but also drags in grass/weeds. I also found that the heavy velcro closure started unraveling fairly quickly and the bottom strap wore out in one season. I found a much cheaper hunting gaiter on Amazon ($18) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1TMXVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1 that will last two seasons, minimum, then start wearing just like the Kennetrek's. These gaiters are made with "slick" nylon that isn't as quiet as the Kennetrek's but they slide through the grass/weeds much easier. I'm all about reducing the amount of drag on my old, tired legs so the combination of the Danner Vitals and the cheap gaiter works great for me, and I can buy at least 3 pair of the cheaper gaiters for each pair of Kennetrek's.

Back