Funny opener story

Byrdoglvr

I have a buddy that hunts with us often but just doesn't really seem to have a knack for hunting. He's always out of position, misses a lot (even though he's a great sporting clays shooter) etc. So I'm happy when he gets a few. My little GSP set him up beautifully Sunday with a solid point and an easy shot close and a little left. We walked for another 45 minutes or so pushing grass up to a slough edge. Two hot dogs led me away from him and my bro in law which turned up nothing. As I approached them I could see something was up. I figured a bird was about to catch air. Instead my buddy says "your not going to believe it" He took his vest off to get to his water bottle and THE BIRD RAN OUT. We'll be laughing and re-telling this story for years!!

A few years back in college I was hunting with a group of friends. One friend shot a rooster that appeared to be completely dead. He threw it in the back of the pickup under the tonneau cover when we got back to it. We headed back to town after a few more fields. Opened up the tailgate when we got home and out flys a rooster into the middle of Brookings, SD.

After that I almost always ring their neck quick just to be sure.

About 18 years ago I was hunting a small WMA near our family farm, walking a corn food plot of about 15 rows wide. 3 roosters got up and I was so shocked I was only able to drop the last one (weren't seeing many in that area back then). I picked it up and continued on. About an hour later I had my 2nd of the day and a limit. Pleased, I unloaded my gun and headed back to my car accross a frozen lake.

About halfway accross I felt movement in my game bag. I lifted my right arm, twisting to looking under it and behind me, only to see a rooster stick its head out. I started fumbling, trying to grab it with my right hand, as my gun was in my left. Well, the rooster popped out and started to fall to the ground. I tried to grab it but right before it hit the ground it started to fly. I watched it fly for a bit and brought my gun up, click!

It was the 1st one I'd shot. It'd been in my game bag for at least an hour.

I always ring necks now.

Last edited:
Back