Fun hunt with the dogs

Weimdogman

Hunted some crp early today running all 3 of my weims. Pushing 60° with a 15 mph wind. Had some good tracking,trailing pointing. Had all 3 on point in a field corner. 5 roosters boiled out and as was getting ready to pick 1 out another 3 came out. Picked 1 of them and dumped him. A younger me would have gotten 3 but I am happy to just shoot 1 at a time now.
Hunted another piece and the ground was so rough that I toned the dog hoping the bird he was pointing would flush my way because I couldn't walk over there. It flushed away of course.

Hunted the same 1st place the last hour with a friend and his 2 vdds. I only ran my female. I dropped a bird she was working and it was off to the races. 100 yards down the fence line and into a slough. She flipped the bird once but couldn't grab it. She kept wanting to go east and but wasn't acting like she had scent so I called her back and had her working in the slough. Slough was not wide so I got her to the other side and she started working back east. Then she went back across and east before rushing in and coming out 40 yards later with the bird.
My buddy hit 1 twice and was headed after his bird which went over the hill. He never found his bird but flushed about 30 birds. A short distance later he shot twice at a bird which flew 200 yards and went up and then came down dead in a adjoining pasture. I left my gun and went out aways before sending my dog on the blind retrieve. When I got back to him he asked where that bird came from? I said you shot it. He said I thought I missed it clean. I said shoot better or miss better.

Hunted some crp early today running all 3 of my weims. Pushing 60° with a 15 mph wind. Had some good tracking,trailing pointing. Had all 3 on point in a field corner. 5 roosters boiled out and as was getting ready to pick 1 out another 3 came out. Picked 1 of them and dumped him. A younger me would have gotten 3 but I am happy to just shoot 1 at a time now.
Hunted another piece and the ground was so rough that I toned the dog hoping the bird he was pointing would flush my way because I couldn't walk over there. It flushed away of course.

Hunted the same 1st place the last hour with a friend and his 2 vdds. I only ran my female. I dropped a bird she was working and it was off to the races. 100 yards down the fence line and into a slough. She flipped the bird once but couldn't grab it. She kept wanting to go east and but wasn't acting like she had scent so I called her back and had her working in the slough. Slough was not wide so I got her to the other side and she started working back east. Then she went back across and east before rushing in and coming out 40 yards later with the bird.
My buddy hit 1 twice and was headed after his bird which went over the hill. He never found his bird but flushed about 30 birds. A short distance later he shot twice at a bird which flew 200 yards and went up and then came down dead in a adjoining pasture. I left my gun and went out aways before sending my dog on the blind retrieve. When I got back to him he asked where that bird came from? I said you shot it. He said I thought I missed it clean. I said shoot better or miss better.
Nice report, yes many don't watch the birds as long as they should. Have seen several over the years doe exactly what you described, either vertical death climb or just fold while flying.

Not sure why all 4 pics posted?
Anyways took 2 guys from Alabama out today to hunt the Golden hour. They didn't bag any birds but got shots and missed opportunities. I bagged 3 so got some pics of them with birds. They weren't going to when I offered the pics but when I told them your friends in Alabama aren't going to know who shot those birds they laughed and posed.

A solid whoa is good for pictures.😉

Just got in from another hunt with a new pf guy. We hunted a landowners ground that I recruited into pf. She has made a sizeable contribution and allowed us to use her ground for our youth hunt. Hunting partner helped with this on her ground.

I ran my female who being the alpha bitch that she is put his 2 neutered males in their places immediately.
We had a great hunt . Good dog work. Limited out with roosters still flushing all around us. I yelled that is 6 and he was grinning ear to ear and said I thought so.

We stopped and thanked her and got a promising lead on another great piece to hunt.

My female has become dogged(😉) in her pursuit of cripples and made a very nice recovery on a winged bird. Both of his dogs got retrieves also. Almost a perfect hunt.

Sounds like the bitch I got my Weim out of. German import who was rough as nails but hunted like a champ and almost never lost a cripple.

Back