Frost interseeding rye/brome? What might work?

Western IL

We have had good success at the farm establishing NWG filter strips. The filter strips are fed by grass waterways which due to age and mowing have become rye/brome grass dominated (not sure which). I'm considering trying to frost seed into the waterways perhaps 100' up from the NWG filter strips as I believe it would substantially increase the length of the edge, and might get some pollinators going to increase brode success.

I've had some minor success interseeding heavily with medium clover into turf grass. Using a heavy rate and still it was limited.

I realize this is an uphill battle, but time and materials will be limited. Any thoughts on what species might best compete with the turf grasses and establish themselves?

I'll take a stab at this. Just to be clear, I believe you're saying there is currently rye/brome grass on your waterways that have not been sprayed/mowed, and you'd like to frost seed some NWSG or a pollinator mix in replace?

I'm not sure how well it would work to frost seed into an unprepared area with the competition and thatch already present. With the grasses still there, any seed you frost seed could have trouble reaching the soil (it may just sit on top of the thatch). And even then, when the rye/brome start to spring up, you would have to have a short window to spray the rye/brome out before the NWSG germinate (I would think forbs would germ earlier so that would be near impossible).

Do you have access to a drill? You could spray once or twice in the spring and drill in June. I'm not sure about a mix - you might want to reach out to a PF biologist on all of this, too. I'm sure they would be willing to help.

Thanks SD. The waterways were mowed last year as the farmer needed the grass for his cattle. That's why I was thinking there might be something that can reach the dirt, but I know it's always an uphill battle competing against turf grass.

Not sure why turf grass on my farm kills damn near everything it competes against and my lawn at home is full of clover, dandelions, and creeping charlie 😂

Been a long struggle on this property. 20 something acres of crp and waterways, plus waste area, but my quail disappeared, and this year saw a grand total of 4 pheasants.

Gotcha. I'm in a similar scenario on my land. I have a couple spots I'd like to kill off brome and establish some native grass mix. But, I didn't prep it at all last year, so I'm probably holding off on frost seeding until next year when I have a clean slate unless I can get someone to drill it in, and then I'd prep this spring. If you have the equipment or network, you could/get someone to disc and spray twice then broadcast and cover. But I don't know if you want to take that route in a waterway as well.

You could try frost seeding - I just don't personally know if there's anything that would outcompete the established grass when your seeds start to germinate. The established grass shoots up quick and thick in the spring.

Back