Front toes

birddude

Anyone have a cure for rawness on the tops of the toes besides boots? My 4-year-old wire wears the hair off the top of her front toes. I've tried the mushers stuff. didn't do much.

Wears or licks the hair off?

Maggie, the new, used, dog arrived with a bare left front paw from licking (?anxiety?). I would apply udder balm when I thought of it. Over the weeks, it all grew back, but front time to time, she licks one paw or another to bare skin; then it grows back.
She's still kinda spooky, but well settled into her new pack of Tinker and me.

Young Bert used to have raw spots under his eyes from going through thick cover. As he aged, he did it less. Treatment was the same, some udder balm.

Best wishes.

Dont know; I suspect that Young Bert had more enthusiasm than good judgement.

And Maggie? She'd been a kennel dog for most of her breeding years, and was somewhat twitchy until she grew accustomed to life in a home with one other dog and came to understand the routines and strictures( like don't bark at cows). I think it was just anxiety in her case.
I've had two other GWPs and, other than abrasion on YB's part, no such issues.

Just tape, boots, tape. With all the dry terrain, it is particularly abrasive on the dogs feet and ventrum. We feel it in our joints. A bit of moisture helps softens the ground. Protect the dogs and they will hunt longer and harder.

Wears or licks the hair off?

Maggie, the new, used, dog arrived with a bare left front paw from licking (?anxiety?). I would apply udder balm when I thought of it. Over the weeks, it all grew back, but front time to time, she licks one paw or another to bare skin; then it grows back.
She's still kinda spooky, but well settled into her new pack of Tinker and me.

Young Bert used to have raw spots under his eyes from going through thick cover. As he aged, he did it less. Treatment was the same, some udder balm.

Best wishes.
Yes wears it OFF and Yes dion I think it's the way some in the breed run. stiff legged

I go through same thing with my gsp, runs hard/ hunts hard. A lot of wear and tear on the feet.
I go through a lot of mushers wax, use it on tops and bottoms of paws, and even on the rear undercarriage too.
Mushers secret is a conditioner and provides a little protection barrier, it’s not going to provide instant healing results. I don’t know what else is better.
You can also use “nu skin” for a temporary liquid bandage.
After talking to a couple people who run sled dogs, from my experience, I would say either use more wax or start putting on boots. Good luck.

Anyone have a cure for rawness on the tops of the toes besides boots? My 4-year-old wire wears the hair off the top of her front toes. I've tried the mushers stuff. didn't do much.
Slap on some boots and wear the hair off somewhere else… impossible fix on a dog that hunts a lot.

Back