From the Aberdeen coaltion

I'm sure you seen aplenty, some of it while in mushroom mode. Unfortunately, you didn't see our ground, and I'm not sure you even live in the state, or experienced the blizzard.

This was a once-in-a-decade type of storm. It lasted four days. Winds up to fifty miles per hour. Over two feet of snow in many spots. The cattail-choked creek that runs through our ground harbors the majority of our birds. It's about ten feet lower than the adjacent fields. After the blizzard, it was impossible to see where the creek was, as it was completely buried. Not powder, but drifts with a hard crust. The several feet of snow over the top of the cattails remained there for over a month. Few if any open spots for birds to get in or out. Any birds that tried to ride the storm out under that canopy were vulnerable to the variety of predators slinking around down there with them, particularly after not feeding for four or more days and being weak as hell. We found dead birds laying near the snowed-in shelterbelts, and before you start with the "them was planted burds!" stuff, understand that we don't release any. Obviously, some survived the blizzard, hopefully many, but I'm a little doubtful they'd then have had enough juice left to fly twenty miles to locate better cover. Particularly when it was unlikely, given the scope of the storm, that things were much better elsewhere. The surrounding area consists of harvested or plowed fields buried in snow, and a few shelterbelts that were also snowed-in. Those birds didn't have many places to go, and their opportunities to feed were few and far between. Guess what a "hole" bunch of them did? Starts with d.

One of the friends I referred to farms 5500 acres, around thirty miles north of us. He, too, found dead birds after the storm, and watched hawks and eagles taking out survivors who were out on the snow-covered fields searching for food. He reports that he isn't seeing many birds this spring while out planting. But then again, he's only been farming there for sixty years and may not be familiar with the morel of the story.

Also, I'm aware that hens rarely have more than one brood, unless the first nest is destroyed early on. I was sarcastic when I said we'd need multiple hatches in order to restore our numbers to anywhere near last year's. I see now that I should have explained that in order to avoid causing you distress.

We lost a lot of pheasants in our area. I'm confident that plenty made it through. Hopefully more than it appears at this point, but it's hard to believe that our numbers next fall won't be impacted by the storm.
What town are you closest to?

What town are you closest to?
My moneys on Winner. Good rodeo town and the heart of preserve country and pen raised bird country. Guys like Walsh, the Wiley Cock, Jorgensen, they own tons & I mean tons of land around there all licensed preserves. Release 1000s & 1000s of roosters by law. Most people with land close to them soak up a bunch & never even know it. Couldn't tell the different if their life depended on it. Winter comes along & there's dead ones all over cause there' all pen raised & don't have a clue how to survive. I seen it plenty of times, not just on really bad winters. Dad always said the roodies at the Wiley Cock aint very wiley. If your seeing a bunch of dead birds after a blizzard chances are the land is practically across the fence from one.

This thread really intrigued me. Had a farmer friend call last night and traded messages with another this morning. Still haven’t found any that would call the numbers where they are bad or down. Gonna call a couple more today as I have some driving to do. Liking what I am hearing but the next 8 weeks or so will really set the tone for the fall with how the hatch goes!

Back