From Redfish and Flounder to Pheasant

McGeeOJ

Hello gentlemen. My name is McGee and I currently live in Charleston, South Carolina. My wife has been offered a kingpin job in Northern Utah and we will soon be moving out west. As an avid hunter and huge inshore fisherman I am excited to move out your way to shoot long range and start pheasant hunting, even though I have never lived anywhere less than 500 yards from the water. I've got an L.C. Smith SXS 16 gauge F/F and wondering if this is what you guys advise for bird hunting? I am also interested in meeting up with some people out there who have some land and want a new hunting buddy. Even willing to work/help out on the farm to gain trust/respect. I am 33 and, hopefully, going to find a Principal/Assistant Principal job in Utah/Southwest Wyoming. I'm also into fly fishing and, believe it or not, we get down on some tailing redfish on flood tides here with fly gear. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and I am looking forward to reading some of your posts and getting into some serious bird hunting around your way.

McGee

Welcome to Uph, and south west Wyoming, or north east Utah. Big Game hunting and fly-fishing heaven Out that way. Not so much for bird hunting, upland anyway. You will have to travel a bit in south western Wyoming to get into upland birds. I am not to shure about Utah for birds.:)

Thank you jmac for your input. I am pretty excited about big game hunting as well but really into birds. Hopefully I will find some land to hunt and meet some friends with some private land. I read that some land owners are being subsidized (if that is the right word) to allow public hunts on their land. Getting my LC Smith fixed up for slaying them and looking into getting a Springer so I can get on em. Hope all is well with you and I appreciate your advice.

McGee

That's a nice area your headed.:thumbsup:
Doubt somebody like you will have trouble finding outdoor hunting opportunities.
Seems like there should be some pheasants where you find the right habitat.
Good Luck.

From a base in N. UT or SW WY you will have access to many upland opportunities as long as you are willing to travel. SW Wyo has great Sage Grouse hunting, Forest Grouse. Utah has excellent Chukar hunting in the western part of the state, Quail in the south and forest grouse, pheasant, sharptail, and Huns are available in the right areas. Another option is heading for Idaho. Many upland opportunities. All of the mentioned areas have excellent fly fishing and waterfowl hunting at different times of the year. Once you figure out where you will be calling home let us know and we might be able to point you in the right direction. With time scouting the problem you will have is deciding which game you want to pursue and where.

Good luck

Back