Franchi Affinity

Anybody hunt with a Franchi Affinity? I acquired one a few months ago, and I really like it. I bust about three quarters of the clays I point it at on the sporting clays course. But I need to find the optimal choke/shot size combination for pheasant hunting. I'm pretty sure I want the improved cylinder, but I'm getting conflicting opinions on shot size in the material I'm reading. Any one have real world experience on this matter?

Thanks in advance!

I don't have one but am looking for a left handed one for my son. Looks like a good all around gun for phez and some ducks.

Last year I bought a 12 gauge Affinity and liked it so much I bought a 20 gauge asap and wish they made a 28 for doves and quail. After shooting my guns, three hunting partners followed suit and everyone is very happy with them.

The normal range of your shots is going to play into the choke decision, but I have been very happy with IC for everything from ducks and geese with steel shot, to doves/quail with #8 lead and copper coated #5 for roosters.

The addition of a sling is great for keeping your hands free for carrying other gear or futzing with dogs.

Keep in mind Franchi's recommendation for shooting a couple boxes of heavier loads for proper "break-in" of a new Affinity. Mine have cycled flawlessly, even with some old reloads that I used unintentionally.

not familiar with that gun, but most important is if it fits you.

I shoot IC in first barrel and Mod in 2nd. but we had a discussion on this topic before, and there was so many opinions. I would start with one set up and then figure out what works best for you. I know some guys change set up as the season goes, for longer flushing birds. I use the same chokes all season long, I switch shot size.

I use 6's early season and the switch to 4's for late season. I only use lead.

Jim

Last edited:
As a semi-auto, the Affinity has one barrel. When shooting a double barrel I choose the same chokes you recommend.

Hello. This is my first post but I have feedback on this gun. I bought one a couple months ago as a backup gun for me and my friends pheasant trips. We needed another 3" gun. I still used my Benelli M2 for Iowa opener but then decided to use the Franchi last weekend. I had shot a dozen rounds or so at clays so I knew it at least worked. Well, it shot and carried very well! I was so impressed I used it all weekend and have no intention of going back to my M2 this season. Man was I knocking down the roosters. It has the same controls as the M2 but the main spring is under the fore stock so the weight is forward. I really like the balance. I can't speak to longevity yet but it seems like you can't go wrong saving 5 hundred and getting this gun.

Last edited:
MinnHunter, what gauge and barrel lengths are your Affinity and M2? My uncle has a 20 gauge M2 and while it's very light, I think I'd prefer more weight forward. Was that the main reason you're going to go with the Affinity over the M2 the rest of the season? These guns are on my radar so I appreciate the feedback!

Both 26" and 12ga. I really like the balance with more weight forward. I don't want to put down my M2 and it is more refined but the Franchi feels more solid. For the first time I put on a sling. It looks and feels like a solid tool. Holds one less shell than my M2 with extended magazine but not an issue.

Thanks MinnHunter. I'm liking the wood 20 ga Affinity, but would rather they have a standard shaped recoil pad. Not sure if someone could even adjust the LOP on that wood gun, or use an aftermarket recoil pad if they wanted to. Not an issue though if it fits well out of the box!

I have an Affinity 12 ga. and I shoot with the IC choke now and will go to Modified toward the end of the season. I love the gun!
It is well balanced, light and has a raised rib and I can immediately get a line on the bird. It is easy to clean and shoots anything through it. I highly recommend it but cannot comment on the 20 ga. version.
I normally shoot 2 3/4", 1 1/4 , 1250-1330 fps, #5 the whole pheasant season.

Back