Found some weed….seed in my dogs ear

4shot

Was scratching and pulling on my dog Murf’s ears and he let out a yelp. I later put his shock collar and caught his ear and he yelped again. To the vet we go. Both ear drums were punctured and had an ear infection. When I went to pick him up the vet told me I now hold the record for the largest weed seed found in a dogs ear at his clinic. I have the worst luck with my setters and ear inventions. If I just think about it they’ll get one. $400 later the seed is removed and we are on the road to recovery. Couple weeks ago we were out exercising in a field and he comes back limping. Thankfully I believe it was just a sand burr or something small cause he quit limping rather quickly. I don’t have very good luck sometimes but I sure do have fun.

4shot:

Your report caught my eye...sorry to hear about your dog's ear infection.

If you read some of the past discussions (here) on this issue, you'll find you are not alone. Surgery for a grass awn deep in my dog's ear was rather expensive - $4000! Hope we don't have a future episode...

Real common in bird dogs. We try to check our dog's ears at least daily and if they are shaking their head or pawing their ears, immediately. As you found, when a sharp seed gets deep down into the ear, it really does damage, which is more often than not, expensive to fix and very dangerous for your dog. It goes with bird dogs and hunting, but definitely something to keep your eye on.

Grass awns are very dangerous. I've been lucky as I caught both of them early both were not in the ear but in the foot. You ever get a piece of something up your pant leg and it comes up but won't shake down? Thats how they work they go in but not out. I had no idea until I had a setter with a sore on his foot that wouldn't heal. It had already migrated an inch or so in a few days. My vet told me of a dog that died, and the client wanted to know what killed it. They sent it to Purdue University and an awn had migrated from its leg to its heart!

Back