Found one froze

Hunted yesterday. Wasn't too bad weather wise. Cold in the morning. Ice covered the tallgrass. Dogs pointed one hen pheasant then went on point in a fencerow looking up. Of course birds get out of the pinoak tree above her and fly back toward us. Something to me about quail in a tree makes me not shoot at em. I think its the fact that they are already struggling with some sort of pressure or they wouldn't be in the tree to start with. So not shots were fired. About 12 birds or so. A friend's shorthair locks up in a draw where I saw the covey fly. Thinking its a single out of the covey that just flushed was planning not to shoot. The dog dove in the little patch after I kicked which is uncharacteristic of this dog. Pulled out what I could see was a male quail. As I took it from him I realized that it was frozen solid. Whole quail. Not marked up. Could have been wounded I suppose by another party. (I could see footprints obvious from the day before) Very disappointing to see none the less. I packed it up after that and called it quits. Which is a shame because the dogs were on it! Obviously good scenting conditions to point a covey up in a tree and then a frozen one! I was amazed that it was still putting off scent.

This recent weather really makes a person wonder how some of these critters survive out there... glad to see this extreme cold move out of the area for the birds sake.

Couple weeks ago, we thought we missed a quail from a covey rise. As we looked for singles, found a freshly killed quail with a bb in it.

Exactly. We were out when it started warming up to see if the quail made it thru the 2000 winter. That winter hurt us; takes a long time to recover.

As a general rule, I do not hunt quail if the daytime temp is below 10 degrees and the quail must have the ability to eat (no crusted snow).

Take care of your breeding stock and weather permitting the coveys will take care of you.

Back