Fort Pierre National Grassland

Edogwyo

We are heading out to Huron area next week to chase some birds. We are going to hunt a little on our way out and thinking about trying the Grassland. I have read there is a healthy population of sharpies and but can’t find much info on pheasant populations. We are good chasing sharpies but was curious if we have a decent chance of putting up a few roosters as well.

I have very limited experience down there but in talking to the biologist it got grazed really hard this summer and what didn’t get grazed is not in great shape due to the drought. Opening weekend grouse wing count was very low also. Traditionally there are some pheasants around there though. Not a hot spot but some. Good luck.

Last year on my last day to hunt, drove through grasslands, never really saw a place we thought would hold pheasants. On a thread of mine from last year some mentioned looking for the cover within the cover, and have a good pair was walking boots. Most of what we saw, was very short grass. We didn’t stumble upon any place that enticed us for pheasants.

I was out for the Prairie Grouse opener on the grasslands. I saw a few roosters on my way to and from hunting but none while on the ground walking the grasslands. Everything that I hunted and saw was very short cover and did not look like anything to keep a pheasant around. I did have some success on sharptails and prairie chickens making it an overall good trip.

I was out for the Prairie Grouse opener on the grasslands. I saw a few roosters on my way to and from hunting but none while on the ground walking the grasslands. Everything that I hunted and saw was very short cover and did not look like anything to keep a pheasant around. I did have some success on sharptails and prairie chickens making it an overall good trip.
I would be looking for prairie chickens and sharp tails for sure.

Back