Fort Peck - closed

Juneau11

Heads up to anyone who is heading in that direction - The Fort Peck Reservation has closed the pheasant season due to fire danger. I talked to Hi-line Sports in Wolf Point yesterday and they confirmed it was closed.

The 10 day forecast is calling for some moisture and cooler temps the first week of October, only time will tell, I know their have been numerous grass fires in the plentywood, wolf point , froid , bainville area. Cross your fingers!!!

Yes there's been fires in that area. Fires have been cause by harvest. Combines etc. Just seems odd to close the season? Weather is cooling down rapidly, frost, chance of rain? Snow not that far off.

Very odd considering the only thing they closed was pheasant and antelope. All other seasons remain open including upland and waterfowl.

They are probably worried about people driving where they should not or throwing cigs out the window. I have seen more then one pickup left idling in high grass start a fire. Chance of showers on Thurs. of this week they are saying right now, that would be great! I know a few guys that like to hunt on the west side of the Muddy, but I have never really thought about paying the tribe to hunt over there.

Additional Closures

The Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks agency has a list of Block Management closures due to fire danger on their web site. Looks like we better be certain of access:confused:

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyl...cle_fcd7a737-ff80-5b4f-a549-6a80d186ebcc.html

One report said that the fire that seems to have been the reason the season was closed started at two places next to the highway and others say it was caused by farm equipment. One said the entire electric buffalo enclosure was destroyed and 8 adults and two calves out of the 82 animal herd had either died or been euthanized while another said only a cow and calf died as a result of the fire. The bottom line is they seem to have closed the pheasant season and I can't find any indication they'll open it later after there's moisture. Giving refunds indicates it's for the year.
Not as many people hunt the other upland birds so maybe that's why they left them open. Their land, their choice.

The Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks agency has a list of Block Management closures due to fire danger on their web site. Looks like we better be certain of access:confused:

Thanks for the heads up Bucketmouth. Those were some of the units I planned on visiting. :eek:

Hope you guys get some moisture up there soon.

I talked to the Fort Peck Fish and Game Dept. today and was told that the Tribal Council closed the pheasant season but left the upland season open because pheasant wasn't opened yet and they could close it and give license refunds. Since Sharptail and Hungarian season was already open and people were already here they decided not to close it because people had already gone to the effort and expense to come and hunt those birds. Upland Birds requires a separate license on the Reservation so that was as close as they could come to being fair to those already here even though some of them may have planned to hunt pheasants too.
I asked if they would open it if they got rain and he said they hadn't had any in two months and none was forecast for the next two weeks. He didn't know what would happen when it got wet, if it ever does this year.

BMA 78 Madoc, a big one just SE of Scobey closed yesterday. BMA Chrohn near Medicine Lake got the signs to close. I imagine once a couple start to close more will quickly follow so check the FWP website before you leave otherwise the only way you'll know is when you go to a check in box and find a "Closed" sign..

Back