For your health

Huntdreamer

I know this is a hunting board but were else will you find a bunch of guys. I hope every guy over 50 (general guidelines say 55) have a PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen blood test).

For a variety of reasons my brother-in-law had not, until 60, and now we are learning he has advanced prostate cancer. He had no symptoms whatsoever. I have remarked about his ability to “hold it” as I, at 65, require frequent stops on long drives. We are hopeful for a good outcome, but it is concerning. I have been making initial plans for a 2023 pheasant hunt for a group and only hope he will be with us and health enough to do the walking a pheasant hunt requires. For several years we had also talked about an archery elk hunt which we should have never put off this long.

Bottom line,,,,GET A PSA! Even without insurance it shouldn’t be more than $100.00-150.00. It is as important as your wife’s annual exam. Just, guys don’t talk about it…..I am!

Annual check up tend to be covered by insurance. Like many I was always “too busy” to do mine. Finally started going a few years ago. Now when I leave the exam room I head over and book the next years appointment. Really no excuse to not go.

Yes, get a PSA! My cousin never got one until due to gradual prostate enlargement he could no longer urinate! When he had to go to the ER so he could take a leak, his PSA result? Grade IV metastatic prostate cancer. Now he's playing the same waiting game with cardiac symptoms. So frustrating to watch all this because he has no vices and leads a healthy lifestyle. Frankly, it will be just dumb luck if he survives until his cardiology appt in 17 days. He promised me today if he has another cardiac episode he'll go to the ER. I'm not holding my breath. He very erroneously thinks our local doctors in our rural area are inadequate, which is hooey. All he probably needs is a stent or two, a routine, in and out same day procedure. Do you sense I'm a bit upset? This cousin and I are one year apart in age and have been friends our entire lives.

Sorry about the rant.

Last edited:
I had prostate cancer. I had cyber knife radiation over 3 years ago. Get a PSA at least once a year. Mine went up very gradually. Yes always do your annual check-up. If any of you get prostate cancer, look into Proton radiation. The system was not set up yet when I had my cancer.

Last edited:
Back