Flying your game

Put frozen birds in your checked bags.

Hope they do not lose your luggage and find it two weeks later.

Happened to a friend.

Why not ship it UPS or Fedex? I get frozen food delivered to my home all the time from those shippers. Arrives still frozen in a styrofoam box with frozen blocks or dry ice inside. "What's inside?" "Frozen meat and ice."

Last edited:
I’m not sure where the local post office or fed ex store is. That’s a great idea if reasonable considering location of lodge and time for flight back to VA.

I’m not sure where the local post office or fed ex store is. That’s a great idea if reasonable considering location of lodge and time for flight back to VA.
UPS picks up all over the rural U.S. Every incorporated town has a post office. Before deciding on USPS you might check that it will accept a parcel with meat.

I’ll have to do the research. All sounds good. I’m using a rental and have a flight to catch as well.

For our Canada trip each year; (Agree with John Singer using checked bag)
1) we freeze the birds each day after our hunt
2) the night before our flight home we stay at a hotel With a freezer - keeping the birds frozen
Final pack wrap the birds in newspaper/freezer paper, etc
3) our travel home is a all day affair & the birds are still pretty much frozen
Good luck!

Ok. I think I can make that happen. I’ve bought fish back from Tampa. Fillets lay flat but it sounds like the same process. Thanks for the info everybody. Happy hunting.

For our Canada trip each year; (Agree with John Singer using checked bag)
1) we freeze the birds each day after our hunt
2) the night before our flight home we stay at a hotel With a freezer - keeping the birds frozen
Final pack wrap the birds in newspaper/freezer paper, etc
3) our travel home is a all day affair & the birds are still pretty much frozen
Good luck!
What birds are you bringing back? More rules now because of bird flu. I meant back from Canada.

Last edited:
I found that birds that are frozen solid in a freezer box packed in your luggage is best, hands down, because it flys free or a small fee & it arrives when you do..

I fly home with 15 birds every year from DEN. Drive 8ish hours from SD to N. Colorado with frozen birds. Put them in the deep freeze as soon as we get back to the house. Next day they are the last thing packed. I pack them in a soft sided cooler bag wrapped in newspaper. On the way to DEN I stop at King Soopers and grab a few pounds of dry ice. Carry cooler bag and dry ice as one of my carryon's. Its only a 3 hr direct from DEN so birds arrive frozen solid. Been doing it this way for about 5 years.

So here is the plan. Large duffle bag. Pack as light as I can for the hunt. Birds will be frozen for 12 hours before I drive 3 hours to board the plane. The birds will be packed in a dry bag, inside the duffel bag. If I can find dry ice before boarding the flight, I will drop dry ice in the dry bag with the birds.

When it comes to flying your game rig back to your home state, it's all about planning and avoiding those pesky fees. First, I'd recommend checking out some bingo apps to keep you entertained during the flight. They're a great way to pass the time! As for your gear, here's a tip I picked up: pack it in a sturdy, well-padded travel case. Make sure it meets the airline's size and weight restrictions. Many airlines allow a personal item and a carry-on, so you can potentially fit your essentials in there without extra charges.

Last edited:
When it comes to flying your game rig back to your home state, it's all about planning and avoiding those pesky fees. If your gear is too large, consider shipping it separately using a service like FedEx or UPS. It might be more cost-effective than paying oversized baggage fees.
Good to know. Hopefully it becomes a good problem to have. I’m excited. I’m actually on the plane headed to Nebraska now.

Back