Florida Pheasant Hunting?

Chester

New guy on the block. I am in the process of training a Chesapeake. I live in Florida during the winter. I have tried to find a preserve that will put out birds to work the dog but every preserve I researched only does tower shoots. Is there a preserve or suggestion for training the dog in Florida for pheasant hunting?

you probably have the wrong breed for pheasant hunting, although there are exceptions.
good luck.

You might have to follow a different breed more popular to the south to figure out how they train for upland hunting. I have two Chesapeakes and a Boykin puppy so I’ve been a on a couple Boykin fb pages. Most of the members are from the south. The ones serious about upland hunting are getting it done

He’s doing well so far. Excellent nose locating birds. I just want to keep him active. Tougher to train him for ducks too while in Florida with gators!
Thank you for the responses. I guess it will be bumper retrieves for a while until I figure it out. The tower shoots let you bring your dog to retrieve shot birds but he’s too green for that bombardment.

Chester
Yes a Chesapeake can hunt pheasants. I have had a Chesapeake for my dog for a long time now. The Chesapeake motto - equal ability on land and water . So do you have access to land where you can put out birds yourself ? Pheasants are at the top of the price list , maybe chukar. I have used pigeons to teach a dog to quarter and get started. Pheasant hunting involves a lot of types of cover. Eastern Colorado/Western Nebraska small grains and thin cover are not the best for a hard charging flushing dog. Take that same dog to South Dakota with cattails and thicker grasses and things are great . Have you heard of Hunting Retriever Club . Check the website , there are three clubs located in Fl. That would be a good start for training. Any other Chesapeakes in your area , there are some really good ones in the Pensacola area.
It's really fun to see a Chesapeake on a morning pheasant hunt and the sun hits the waves in the fur on the rib cage as it's nose is working and tail is moving at high speed.

Training with Pheasant may not be the best option. Chukar or quail or pigeons may give you a better option. As to hunting preserve do some research with the local hunting dog clubs. I know they do have them possibly further north in Florida. My cousin had a GSP and he belong to one but do not remember its location. If train properly any dog can hunt. its style will depend if your satisfied or not. Heck my friend back when I was a teenage had mutt that found us plenty of birds. The bird count back then was way more though.
Good luck

Back