Fishing?

Hey just wondering if anybody has been doing any fishing in their down time of chasing pheasants. I have been a couple times trying eastern kansas lakes for crappie. Just been doing ok.

What is your favorite hobby in the offseason?

P.S. I sure do wish it was still December and I was following my dog in western kansas though.

Hey just wondering if anybody has been doing any fishing in their down time of chasing pheasants. I have been a couple times trying eastern kansas lakes for crappie. Just been doing ok.

What is your favorite hobby in the offseason?

P.S. I sure do wish it was still December and I was following my dog in western kansas though.
Our first Bass Club Tournament got canceled Sunday due to the weather. We're fishing LaCygne for our first stop. Hillsdale Lake should start picking up for Walleye here in the next couple weeks also. I can't wait for July though, a 19.5 hour drive north to Long Legged Lake, Ontario Canada for a week and a half of the best Walleye, Muskie, Pike and Smallmouth fishing around. :thumbsup:

Brook trout fishing season opens tomorrow but.......... we just got a big dump of snow and the lakes are all still frozen solid!!!!
I have a few little where the creeks dump into the lakes where I can probably hook a few - I'll know more about 6 a.m. tomorrow when I take the dog for an "extra long walk " before work! haha!
-Croc

I just got back from a striper fishing trip down in oklahoma on lake Texoma. We had a great time and caught lots of fish. Our biggest was 14 pounds and 2 came in at 13 pounds. All three fish are at the taxidermist right now. Also these guys we went with always go to canada and say its one of the best experiences of their life. So I am planning a trip to canada for the summer of 2010. They said they catch so much fish its unbelieveable and you don't see another human the whole time your there. its just you and nature.
Awesome!

Haven't been out yet but the steelhead are starting to run the rivers so it's time to get the waders out. In a couple weeks I'll be getting the boat ready to fish the Saginaw bay for walleyes. As much as I like to fish, I can't wait until this fall to get my new pup out pheasant hunting.

Scott

Kansas Cowboy - when you're ready to start planning your Canadian trip let me know. I've done most of it, except the West Coast salmonid stuff, and might be able to steer you in the right direction...

I was out yesterday and again this morning for a few hours. Could NOT get the trout to take, or even find any for that matter. I'm going to give it a bit of time for the ice to clear off the lakes and before taking any more days off for troutin'!

-Croc

I picked up a male lab pup this past November. We have a 6 year old female that he chews on but they get along pretty well.

A couple of friends fish Canada every year for walleye and pike and they have a great time. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Scott

I just got back from a striper fishing trip down in oklahoma on lake Texoma. We had a great time and caught lots of fish. Our biggest was 14 pounds and 2 came in at 13 pounds. All three fish are at the taxidermist right now. Also these guys we went with always go to canada and say its one of the best experiences of their life. So I am planning a trip to canada for the summer of 2010. They said they catch so much fish its unbelieveable and you don't see another human the whole time your there. its just you and nature.
Awesome!
Nice on the stripers. I haven't ever been to Texoma but I've heard it's awesome. My fishing partner and I were going to travel to either Sam Rayburn, Falcoln Lake or maybe Toledo Bend for a few weeks of bass fishing this summer but the contractor that we took to Canada last year wants to go back this year. He pretty much pays for everything so I couldn't turn down the opportunity to go again. :D We do have our first ever Miami County Bass Club tournament this Sunday so with the weather changing again we'll see how we can do. I'll post the results of the tournament. :thumbsup:

Fishing is Fun

A couple or three three trout fishing trips in the off season helps pass the time. Heading to Bennett Spring this month and somewhere in Colorado this summer, probably down around Cortez where two friends just moved. But mostly I just think about pheasant and quail hunting when I'm not hunting. Hard to concentrate . . ..

KSCowboy, congrats on the trip. Sounds like it was a good one.

Good luck in the tourney Lee!!:cheers:
The weather was BRUTAL to say the least today. We boated 1 fish and it was only 17" so we couldn't even count it. The morning started off with temps around 45 and a small breeze out of the WSW. At about 9:30am the wind picked up to probably 25mph and came from the west. I hooked a toad on a rat-l-trap and he jumped at least 2 feet out of the water and spit my lure back at me. :mad: By quitting time which was 1:30pm the temps were hovering right around 35 with the wind blowing out of straight north at probably 35 to 40mph. IT SUCKED to say the least but our next tourney is at Lake of the Ozarks in 2 weeks and it should be much better. :thumbsup:

Wipers??

We were on Cedar Bluff in Nov. Someone told us the wipers were running good. We duck hunted in knee-deep water on a fairly warm day and there were some awful big fish hitting all around us.
Being from La., I ask "Whats a wiper"?

Fishing is a foreign thing here in Dodge these days. I used to do a fair amount when there was water in the river and my brother lived here. He always found time to fish and made sure I went. He is eight years my elder and pretty much told me when to jump and how high. Lots of all nighters running bank lines and trout lines in the Arkansas River. Always seemed that about midnight he would crash and put me in charge of running the lines the rest of the night. Well he still thinks I should go fishing with him, so I guess I will have to humor him and make the trek to Alaska. Tough job, but someone has to do it.

We were on Cedar Bluff in Nov. Someone told us the wipers were running good. We duck hunted in knee-deep water on a fairly warm day and there were some awful big fish hitting all around us.
Being from La., I ask "Whats a wiper"?
It's a cross between a White Bass and a Striped Bass (Striper). They are one of the funnest fish to chase after, they hit hard enough to almost rip the pole out of your hand.

Back