First Timer

atbrdly

Looking to make a long weekend trip up to Michigan to hunt grouse and woodcock. Any information would be helpful. When is the best time to hunt? What is the best area? I have heard the U.P. but others have told me you don't need to go that far north? Do you use the MI - Hunt maps to find public hunting areas? Thanks for the Info.

The UP is best bet if you looking to get good #s. I hunt west central Dickenson Co. Right around Oct 10th is good for woodcock flights.

Under the Bridge I would try west of Cadilac Might take the wookcock flight to reach its prime thrid week of Oct or last Week of Oct.

I'm no expert but this is just what I have found.

Stop at the Huron-Manistee NF office in Cadillac. The have maps of the entire NF as well as sometimes maps of recent aspen cuts. There are grouse all throughout that area and woodcock during the flights too.

Also, we have cancelled our trip to da' UP. Its training season for rabbit and bear hounds and five (5) hounds have been killed by wolves this week. The wolf situation is way out of control up there.

NB

I agree the UP would be the best but for a long weekend it's a lot of miles. North of Grayling and or Cadillac has lot's of public land to hunt. As far as wolves in the Upper they are out of control, however bird dogs stay closer to hunters and should be fairly safe compared to hounds that go for miles. Good luck, try not to come the first weekend of October, the archery deer hunters are everywhere in the lower. After the first weekend of deer season is not so bad, I usually give the archery hunters some time in the morning and evening so as not to bother them. Third week is good, woodcock are in, some of the leaves are down to. Good luck

I think I am slowly learning how to use the Mi-hunt maps. Is it hard to find places to park and places to go into the hunting areas? the Mi-hunt seems a little complicated although i may not be to intelligent. Anyone have some pointers on making the mi-hunt map easier to interact. From what i am gathering there is a TON of places to hunt. I'm thinking about sticking to the National Forest west of Cadillac....I think it is the Huron-Manistee?

I. From what i am gathering there is a TON of places to hunt. I'm thinking about sticking to the National Forest west of Cadillac....I think it is the Huron-Manistee?

Correct.

The NF Headquarters is on the main drag on the South end of Cadillac. Mackinaw Trail???

We have found some good hunting both South and North of M55 going West of Cadillac.

NB

last week I was on the site and found maps that told how old the cuttings were in different areas today I get on and cant seem to find what I was looking at last time. I want to mark some spots on my DeLorme Map but I'm lost too.

Correct.

The NF Headquarters is on the main drag on the South end of Cadillac. Mackinaw Trail???

We have found some good hunting both South and North of M55 going West of Cadillac.

NB

I just drove through Cadillac on Sunday then south on 31 from Sleeping Bear just today. There's a lot of good looking country you MI folks have up there:). Saw some nice areas for pheasants too.

Good luck this fall guys;):cheers:

Good luck to you, I hope you find birds. Wood cock are normally fairly abundant along the elder bottoms, grouse are spotty. If the weather is cooler that will help both the dogs and the birds looking for feed. Remember look for food sources by edges, acorns, thorn apples, or any berries. If you flush a grouse be on the lookout for another, and watch where it flies for a second flush. Let us know how you do.

Thanks Tireguy! We are going on Columbus Day weekend. Haven't totally decided whether to head west toward Cadillac or north toward the Gaylord/the bridge area. Any suggestions?

Atbrdly,

You can also stop into the local DNR office to get maps and or areas where aspen has been recently harvested (10 - 20 yrs old). Many of the foresters are hunters to and willing to provide locations. Woodcock numbers are pretty good right now in the gaylord area. Still a lot of leaves on the trees and it makes shooting a bit more difficult. Midweek like many places is best time to hunt. Many counties in the northern lower are over 50% public land which would include both state and fed. You can also look for commercial forest land which is private land that allows hunting, can be found on DNR website or local field office. As mentioned bow season starts next Wednesday so there will be more hunters in the woods. Typically the further north you go less people. I will say that northern lower gets a lot of pressure and the grouse are starting to act more like pheasants in the woods, not holding as tight unless young of the year. Good luck on your trip.

Atbrdly,

You can also stop into the local DNR office to get maps and or areas where aspen has been recently harvested (10 - 20 yrs old). Many of the foresters are hunters to and willing to provide locations. Woodcock numbers are pretty good right now in the gaylord area. Still a lot of leaves on the trees and it makes shooting a bit more difficult. Midweek like many places is best time to hunt. Many counties in the northern lower are over 50% public land which would include both state and fed. You can also look for commercial forest land which is private land that allows hunting, can be found on DNR website or local field office. As mentioned bow season starts next Wednesday so there will be more hunters in the woods. Typically the further north you go less people. I will say that northern lower gets a lot of pressure and the grouse are starting to act more like pheasants in the woods, not holding as tight unless young of the year. Good luck on your trip.

Back