First Time to Kansas

Brimar1991

After 10 plus years of going to South Dakota, I am thinking about Kansas for next season.

I was looking for recommendations on towns with variety of hotels and restuarants where I can base myself. In South Dakota, I used to stay in Huron and travel to DeSmet or Miller or Redfield areas to hunt.

I just wanted to start planning for next season. Any information would be appreciated. Have a good and safe holiday season.

way too early, in my opinion, to plan anything for Kansas. one more year of drought and it won't matter where you base out of....the entire, traditional pheasant range is suffering right now......wait and see how spring rains play out, there won't be a rush next fall, even if the hatch is good, the pop. will still be depressed.....it would take 2 really good springs for the birds to replicate numbers we saw 3-4 years ago.

Just got back from 1st SOUTH DAKOTA trip ,been going to kansas for 18 yrs.I stuck with kansas last 3 years because of mix bag of quail and pheasants.I would stick with south dakota next year,because i seen 100 to 200 phez every day at S.D and people r crying its the worst they have seen in 30 years.Come to KY and hunt ,some people just dont know how good they got it.

Thanks for your opinions. I mainly hunt on public land in South Dakota and for the past 10 years, the amount of WIA's keep dropping. I know the CREP program has introduced more acres.

I was not going to book any hotels yet. If I made the move, I just wanted to know where to start. Thanks again. Have a good holiday season.

I'd say stay in Colby or Hays, somewhere in the NW part of the state. May not be many birds to chase compared to SD, but Kansas is always a good place to come visit and I'm sure you'd find one or two to shoot at. Been hunting SD and Kansas for quite some time and I'm pretty sure I'd take SD most years.

Back