First Time in Kansas!!! Help! please

jcfd129

Taking my Dad and my brother to Beloit, KS for the first time this year. We hunt alot of quail in Missouri over brittany's. Can anyone lend a hand on WIHA ground around the Beloit area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks ~~MATT

Kansas WIHA

The amount of WIHA in the area around Wakeeney and Hill City is also amazing. I think the Kansas Parks and Wildlife and the landowners should be applauded.

Hill City

I am a novice myself, but yes, the birds were scattered last week with the mild weather. It has turned much colder in the last few days which I understand should bunch them up. The birds we found were in patches of CRP near cut corn or in small islands of in the middle of corn and milo. That sounds like a over simplfied answer, because all those areas did not hold birds, but a few of them had a rooster or two. A few had several and one had about 20. Of course, all 20 birds basically flushed like a wave as we approached.
We concentrated on the enrolled areas west and south of Hill City and a few North of Hwy 24. There were more hunters as we moved North. If you use the areas around CR 190 and CR 200 and crossing with CR G, H, I or so, you should find enough birds to keep you interested.

Go farther West

Taking my Dad and my brother to Beloit, KS for the first time this year. We hunt alot of quail in Missouri over brittany's. Can anyone lend a hand on WIHA ground around the Beloit area? Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks ~~MATT

Go farther west than Beloit and there is lots more walk-in and more birds.

How Far West

How far west???? give me a target area please!!! thanks!

Maybe stay in Stockton and hunt Rooks and Graham counties. Lots of acres in walk-in.

I am thinking of trying to get out one more time this year! Maybe I will try stockton. We hunted around glen elder and south of osborne and came out with 3 birds total. Saw alot of hens, and a few roosters that were out of range. We had never been before so there was a learning curve for sure. I found out that Edges and ditches were the key. We started hunting crp ditches adjacent to milo fields or in milo fields and thats where the birds would be. If they were in the milo is wasnt very far maybe 10 to 20 yards in. Saw no birds come out of the middle of the Milo fields. Had a blind retrieve and alot of good quaility points on hens with my pups so that was rewarding !!! I want to go back bacause I learned so much in just three days.

Back