first SD hunt

marcwigg

I am from Michigan and am planning on coming to SD Nov25- Dec 1. We plan on hunting pheasants in the Huron area. If anyone has any info on that area good, bad, whatever, it would be greatly apperciated. thanks

Are you planning on hunting private or public land?

Lots of birds in the Huron area. Of course in saying that, the birds are where the habitat is and factor in the hunting pressure.

We plan on hunting public land. We also have 4 dogs, but i think we will hunt two at a time. The dogs are proven bird finders and dont mind heavy cover.

I went on my first SD hunt this year! It was truly amazing! If we hadn't lost a bird on the first flush, we'd have been done for the day. We walked into a small patch of grass by a corn field and it exploded, birds coming out all around us. We knocked down 6 and recovered 5. We went on to finish the afternoon hunting the edges of the corn until we harvested our last rooster and the guide picked up his 3. SD holds some amazing birds numbers. I've hunted KS all my life and have access to some quality private land, but its nothing like SD. Just take a morning drive on the backroads and you'll see what I mean.

I took my 5 year old son along for my first pheasant hunt in SD. He walked the thigh-high grass right along with us. There were enough birds to keep him entertained! I'd sure like to go back up for another visit this year, but I don't think I'll make it. I will make it again in the future and highly recommend that all upland enthusiasts make the pilgrimage at least once in their life; just as the Muslims travel to Mecca, pheasant hunters should make it to SD!

As for public land, I can't provide much advice because I have only spent 2 days hunting there, and one of those was on private land. We hunted some public land the 2nd day of our trip and still saw some birds. Nearly all of the crops were still in. Didn't see ANY other hunters on the public land, once we got away from the counties that are said to have the highest pheasant densities.

well you made a wise decision kansasbrit to not hunt only public land going up there for the first time ever
ppl that take a trip up there for the first time ever and have a plan to hunt public usually come back home with a sour attitude
you got to expect the worst going up there and hunting public

Back