First rooster of 2017

Uplandhunter67

Took a break over the Christmas holiday (forced:)) from the pursuit of pheasants. Finally got back in the field on Sunday afternoon and Monday.

Sunday was hot and sunny. Hit 50 by mid day and the pheasants had gone back to being split up and running instead of flying. Saw a few birds but none in gun range. Never fired a shot.
Had a close encounter with a coyote. Dog popped him out of a ditch at about 3 feet where he promptly jumped over my Lab and almost directly onto my Springer. Decided the best thing to do was let him go as he was too close to the dogs and I don't want an unintended vet bill.

Sunday came along with a dense fog and cold. Couldn't see more than 30 yards but we went out anyways hoping the fog would bunch up the birds. Unfortunately this was not the case.
Walked the first field and as we neared a heavily covered ditch there was a rooster crowing off and on slowly moving away from us. Moved up on him and he flushed somewhere out in the fog. We kept walking and jumped another rooster but he was too low for a shot and quickly disappeared into the fog. Hit a couple of short walk areas and found that nobody was home there either. Walked another large grassy area and put up some birds. Tough shooting though as they jumped and were quickly into the fog. My hunting partner had the all those birds on his side and couldn't get his gun up fast enough. Walked a final ditch at the end of the day we know holds birds. Saw one squirt out 100 plus yards ahead. My Springer got birdy in the next patch of heavy cover and up pops a rooster going vertical in to the air. I just covered him with the barrels and he fell straight back onto my waiting dog.

We covered a lot of country for a single bird but had fun doing it in the fog. There are those who are determined, then those who are die hard's, then there are those who are hard core... Which one are you?

http://s755.photobucket.com/user/uplandhunter67/media/IMG_1679 1_zpsczwwrctd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s755.photobucket.com/user/up...lSizeRender 3_zpspg20jwgz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s755.photobucket.com/user/up...lSizeRender 4_zpshaeuzrxt.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

PS: I have logged 29 days afield chasing upland birds this season and still have 9 days left.... Thank God I have a understanding and loving wife :10sign:

Last edited:
you've got a keeper there! I need to remind myself to get more presents for my better half as well (especially with application season starting, and the attendant large 'loans' of money to various western state game departments).

That fog yesterday morning was surreal. With all the frost as well it was very cool looking.

I found the same as you for the most part. Well-educated birds. Only one shot fired, about 3 minutes before sundown (clean miss). My water became a slushy in my vest after the wind kicked up.

Less than a month to go now...

you've got a keeper there! I need to remind myself to get more presents for my better half as well (especially with application season starting, and the attendant large 'loans' of money to various western state game departments).

That fog yesterday morning was surreal. With all the frost as well it was very cool looking.

I found the same as you for the most part. Well-educated birds. Only one shot fired, about 3 minutes before sundown (clean miss). My water became a slushy in my vest after the wind kicked up.

Less than a month to go now...

Thanks. Love hunting with her. Wonderful member of the family. We both have some work to do in the off season. Agree on the fog. Stayed cold the entire day. When the wind picked up, we were able to get it done. Good luck the rest of the season.

The fog and the ice covered grass and weeds were truly surreal. I though it might help the birds hold a little better but at this stage of the game I guess they know better.

I am an upland bird addict and really can't help myself. Last February I had a medical emergency that required a lengthy hospital stay and surgery. I still have another surgery I need but have put it off until this February so that I don't miss the end of season. Probably shouldn't push myself the way I do with it but you only go around once and any day missed afield is a day you'll never get back.

I am a very luck man in regards to my wife and her understanding of my commitment to upland bird hunting. She probably thinks I ought to be committed to the funny farm. She even was enthusiastic about our purchase of a small house in Kansas where I can base my operations out of. Nice to have a warm home to go to after a long day afield.

Wow 29 days afield and I thought I was doing good this year. There is definitely a difference between die hards and everyone else I will be getting out tomorrow for my first hut ever in 2017 lol, then again Sunday if I don't freeze to death tomorrow, but hey what better way to go then out doing what I love.

I would say I am a die hard but don't get out as much as i would like. Dang work is always getting in the way. My dad, a buddy and myself also went out Monday in the fog and my buddy shot his first two birds of the season. He hasn't hunted over pointing dogs too much and he said my 1yo Gwp locked up 30 yards in front of him. He got close to her and said he was looking for a bird and couldn't see one. He said he coughed and a rooster exploded right in front of my dog. Than a little further down the field a rooster got up behind my dad and he missed twice, which never happens and my buddy shot at it and dropped it dead. He had the luck of the day!
E89743B5-6D65-4B92-98F6-414AE09EC8B3_zps441gdood.jpg
[/IMG]

Great shooting.. Sometimes half the fun is the surprise of the flush!

Went out today, mighty cold, saw A LOT of tracks but failed to rustle up any birds. I walked into one field and saw pheasant tracks immediately next I notice dog tracks following my pheasant and finally I saw hunter tracks following the dog, lol ultimately someone with a good dog hunted every single field I usually hunt as a solo hunter. While I didn't see any birds I learned a lot about how birds act when running from us very interesting. This hasn't been my best season but its been a fun one I am going to look at and hunt over the parents of a possible litter this spring because while the huntings been good I know it would be better with a new pup!

Sorry you didn't get a shot but every so often I take the shotgun for a walk myself.
Every time you go out it is a learning experience. Amazing what tracks and weather can tell you.. Then when you think you have it all figured out they change the rules..:)
I have hunted behind only one parent of one of my labs and that was because she belonged to me. I kept a male from her second litter. I look at the parents and then choose my pup. You might be disappointed if they hunt and your pup doesn't.. Better to pick a great breeder and pick the pup that is the most interested in feathers and you. My Springers parents came from great bloodlines but they never hunted. He hunts like a machine...
We'll be headed to Kansas tomorrow afternoon for the weekend hunt. Looking forward to the snow:10sign:

Uplandhunter67, Thanks for the advice, to be honest that is one of my largest fears while I would love whatever dog I end up with hunter or not, lets be honest I am looking for a hard hunting pup, I totally lucked up on my first GSP and he had an amazing background and was a great hunter I have had some great recommendations on here and reached out to most of them, many have a long waiting list (which says something) and others are not breeding until later in the year, I am not in any kind of rush but I would like to have a pup to work with over the summer if possible. We shall see!!

Recon,
You are being very wise in your decision about a dog. I commend you for that. There are way too many guys who rush in and get the first dog they can because their buddy has one or they saw the breed somewhere. Your dog is more than your hunting companion. He will do his best to get the job done even when he is tired, worn out and sometimes even hurt. I have the utmost respect for my dogs and treat them well.
The previous few years have been hard on pups as the bird numbers were low and roosters tough to find, but now with the pheasant and quail numbers on the rise it will be easier to give a young dog a really good start.

If you ever question who loves you more lock your wife in the trunk with the dog and come back in an hour and see who is happy to see you!!

My wife hates that joke.. :)

I would say I am a die hard but don't get out as much as i would like. Dang work is always getting in the way. My dad, a buddy and myself also went out Monday in the fog and my buddy shot his first two birds of the season. He hasn't hunted over pointing dogs too much and he said my 1yo Gwp locked up 30 yards in front of him. He got close to her and said he was looking for a bird and couldn't see one. He said he coughed and a rooster exploded right in front of my dog. Than a little further down the field a rooster got up behind my dad and he missed twice, which never happens and my buddy shot at it and dropped it dead. He had the luck of the day!
E89743B5-6D65-4B92-98F6-414AE09EC8B3_zps441gdood.jpg
[/IMG]

Great picture. Congratulations.

Uplandhunter67, I love that joke!! I will have to use it, went out and hunted over the breeders dogs as well as looked at his kennel facilities I am planning one more hunt with another breeder so that I can compare the two then I will be placing my deposit with one of them, I've taken my time and narrowed it down to two breeders based off of sound advice, pedigree, performance in the field and breeding history, I have also reached out to previous litter owners and got some, hopefully honest, feedback. I totally lucked up with my first GSP and was blessed with a hunting machine in the field and a lover at home not sure if lightning can strike the same place twice but I am sure homing it does with my selection.

Rich

Looks like you have a great plan to pick your next dog. Doing your due diligence will pay off. I hope you find what you are looking for. Richard Wolter's inscribed a copy of "Gun Dog" to me saying, "A pointing dog is a thing of beauty." Alas I have never been able to bring myself to get a pointer. Love my flushing dogs....
I have been very lucky with the dogs I have owned. Each one is different and special. I wouldn't trade a day back with any of them.
I have always owned Labs. This is my first Springer. It is taking me a little time to understand his ticks and motions as he moves through the brush. You know when he is hot birdy that is for sure.
I am starting to figure out the "I'm following a fresh deer trail" look. The Springer holds his head down but not all the way and his tail doesn't wag quite as hard as when he is birdy. My Lab on the other hand holds his head high and wags his tail like he is greeting me home. To the untrained eye he looks birdy but he is not. When Ty gets birdy his nose goes to the ground and his tail gyrates like a helicopter rotor and moves like a big rhino.
I love hunting over my dogs. It is what they live for and I love seeing them work and enjoy being with them. Their excitement cannot be matched....

Matt

Back