First Post (New member)

QuailBob

Hey everyone or two? It seems most of the people spend their time on the SD section. I will start by introducing myself, my name is Robert and I live in Western CO. But have to say I feel a lot more at home in Nebraska thanks to all the Very kind folks I have the pleasure to meet in the last couple years I have been hunting Nebraska. My Mothers side of the family actually homesteaded in Superior NE and maybe that's why I feel at home there?? Anyway I was just curious if anyone had been seeing any Pheasant or Quail chicks this year??

Welcome from Dodge City. I am sure some folks will be by to post you on Nebraska birds. Love Western Colorado, BTW, just wish I owned part of it.

Thanks Mr. Byrd I have hunted in your neck of the woods too and had a great time! That's been about 12 years ago. Hunted on Kenny Gladden's place, it seemed like he owned half the state!!

welcome quailbob from Nebraska. I only live a hour from your in-laws. The quail pop has been looking pretty strong this yr. The pheasant pop is not bad where there is cover. Cover is getting harder and harder to find around here. We have had a lot of rain this yr, so what cover there is looks really good.

That's awesome. Thanks for the good report Nebgsp. Nebraska is my favorite state to hunt I hope it is a little better than it has been the last couple years! I don't have any family in NE anymore, sadly. Plan to be out that way for opening weekend chase some Bob's around and hopefully find a few roosters along the way!! I see you live in south central NE, I like that area!!

Last edited:
Yes I did know about Kennys passing. I believe he lived a good life and I can say we had a great time hunting with him. My granpa was good friends with him and those two made the hunt great birds or not. One instance I will never forget; He dropped us off to hunt this creek bottom that Looked amazing, well about 2 miles into it we hadn't seen anything but turkeys and deer, Kenny and my grandpa were blocking. Finally we come around this bend that seemed like another 2 miles and see the old farts sitting on this bridge a few hundred yards ahead. Well we see the only pheasant of our push a HEN! Kenny pulls up his A5 with the browning sticker still on the barrel, the pheasant flys rite over his head, NO SHOT he slowly turns around and takes aim again, Well we're waiting for the shot and NOTHING? So we finish up our walk and meet up with Kenny and Grandpa and ask "Why didn't you shoot that bird??" thinking he would reply "It was a hen!!!" but nope he says laughing "My gun wasn't loaded I must have unloaded it when I got in the truck??? Huh"! I can say that was rare it stayed loaded in or out of the truck!! I didn't have the nerve to say anything to an 80 year old that owned half the county!!! If he wanted it loaded that was fine with me!

I have a few stories about Kenny and good memories. I knew Kenny and Agnes and his step children. Salt of the earth kind of folks. Dodge City was a better place because of Kenny and Agnes.

Kenny and Agnes.

KennyAgnes_zpsb36ead64.jpg

They don't make like that anymore!! He was truly one of a kind! So how are things lookin in your neck of the woods? Are you guys going to have any birds this year in Kansas?

They don't make like that anymore!! He was truly one of a kind! So how are things lookin in your neck of the woods? Are you guys going to have any birds this year in Kansas?

Some rebound. Seems more so with the quail than pheasants. Numbers still very low on both. I doubt if I will have huntable numbers of either at my place.

Back