First pheasant hunt for my son

MNhunter4ever

Looking for some advice…my 13-year old son recently completed his hunter safety certificate and wants to pheasant hunt with me this year, which is awesome. He has walked along in the past but has never carried a gun when going with us. I’d like to get him his own shotgun to use, so I am looking for any advice on what type of shotgun people might recommend for him? Thanks in advance!

It always thought the Benelli Monteftro youth package was a good deal and a great idea. Has shorter length stock and also the full size. Becomes a gun he can use for the rest of his life. I assume they are still offering that. If any safety concerns can start with just loading one shell in the chamber and none in the tube. Good luck and enjoy your time with your son.

If he needs a shorter LOP, I completely agree with Matt. A slightly cheaper option would be the Franchi Affinty 3 compact. My oldest son shoots this gun. Lots of adjustability and it has been an extremely. He just turned 11 last month, and I've got all the spacers in the stock already. He is very tall for his age. Benelli also makes a compact M2, but the full size stock was close to $400 when I was in the market last year.

Personally I think pumps are the best starter guns for youths. It helps for a couple reasons. First and foremost is safety, they can't end up just continually pulling the trigger on accident or when excitement creeps in on young hunters. Second it helps them to develop good shooting form and not worry about pulling the next shot so quickly.

I started with 2 pumps and purely shoot autos now, but for my first 8 or so years I shot pumps. I recommend the Browning BPS.

I started with 2 pumps and purely shoot autos now, but for my first 8 or so years I shot pumps.
I used a pump for my first pheasant and waterfowl shotgun too for about 10 years. But it wasn't necessarily because I thought they might be safer, it was because it was all I could afford. When I got a real job then I could afford to upgrade. If someone had bought me a Benelli as my first shotgun I would have been ecstatic.

What does he shoot currently (clay birds), your 12 gauge? If he isn't a "larger" 13 year old, I think I would start him with a youth sized 20 gauge pump action. He will likely out-grow this in a couple seasons and then if he is still into it, step-up to a 12 gauge. You might even have a shooting friend who may have a youth sized shotgun (from their children) he can use for a season or 2.

Started my two sons with a Remington 1100 20ga, with a cut down and regular stock. Only used the short stock for one year. Both sons grew to
6'3". It was a good investment at the time. We still enjoy hunting together.

I second the opinions of both a pump, or if an autoloader only allow one shell in the gun at a time. A little safer, and will probably make him a better shot in the end. Although I try to avoid it all costs, I've been guilty of "spray and pray" when I know the magazine on an auto is plum full. Now I have to logout due to embarrassment:rolleyes:.

I second Remy's advice. 20 gauge pump and no worries about flinching. All my kids were done with it in a year but it was worth building up to the 12 gauge...or make he'll like sub gauge. I know at my conservation club (if you belong to one) you could find someone that has one they would let you use for a season or buy a used one and you'll get most of your money back in a year or two.
Good luck and ENJOY!!!! I miss those days with the kids shooting the heck out of that little gun. Pop cans, sling shot apples, balloons on a windy day.......fun stuff.

A break action gun. Safest. The shooting accidents typically involve autos and pumps. They're too complicated and difficult to ascertain loaded/unloaded status. Break actions carry lighter due to less overall length. Breaks encourage accurate shooting rather than emptying the magazine on one bird. Another safety feature is if you're hunting over a dog, your boy can carry the gun broken but with a shell cambered and then close the gun when the dog points or gets birdy. Henry makes a single shot (see www.henryusa.com/shotgun/single-shot-shotgun). Walmart shows a $99 single shot on the internet. I'm sure there are other makes. Any double break action is fine but heavier.

Last edited:
I'd say get a cheap single shot 20ga, then measure LOP for your son, and cut the stock to size for him.

It will be light, it will FIT the kid and make accuracy more likely, and he can be certain the chamber is empty or open, thus enhancing your safety training with him

Best wishes. Nice that you have the opportunity to train another hunter the right way.

Kis

I'd say get a cheap single shot 20ga, then measure LOP for your son, and cut the stock to size for him.

It will be light, it will FIT the kid and make accuracy more likely, and he can be certain the chamber is empty or open, thus enhancing your safety training with him

Best wishes. Nice that you have the opportunity to train another hunter the right way.

Kis
Oh, I should have added that if you are careful in your modification of the stock for your son, you can used the truncated wood a few years down the road to restore the length of the stock as your son grows, and you might even initially cut it so that you can put a recoil pad on it to reduce initial flinching on the boy's part.

Have fun, best wishes.

My son (12) shoots a 20ga over under. It’s pretty light and the safety has to be switched to take a second shot. That drives me nuts but it’s great for him he has to focus on one shot. I like that when we walk up to a group he can break it open and display safe gun handling. I look at the first couple of year in my opinion is about creating safety habits and displaying safe gun handling to those around you. There is nothing worse that guys that walk up to a group talking waving a barrel.

I look at the first couple of year in my opinion is about creating safety habits and displaying safe gun handling to those around you. There is nothing worse that guys that walk up to a group talking waving a barrel.
Couldn't agree more. When I was a kid and before I could hunt, I would walk with my dad. Eventually I started carrying a BB gun and my dad would always ask "Is the safety on?" And keep driving home safe gun handling. Then I graduated to carrying the single shot .22 around and could take shots at squirrels we'd come across while bird hunting. All the while being asked about the safety and making sure I was handling it safely.

When both my kids were young, I got them the browning 20 gauge BPS micro. I think the stock is a little shorter. Then as they got older, we bought an English stock to fit them on line. Worked out great.

Back