First Montana upland hunt

HNDLDR

I lived in Montana as a kid and hunted deer plenty. I’ve been back almost three years now. This was my first time hunting birds in Montana, first time hunting sharp tails also. We hunted state and block management but the block management was the only thing that produced for us.A76F308C-0A88-4178-9B9F-BD2EC3D4903B.jpeg19DE7E51-7FC2-45BA-9F60-E6E42EBC692D.jpegBA773B4A-2681-433E-A08F-BF5B70414693.jpegDF509FC1-BE59-44A5-B108-A6808C3A1D12.jpeg

If I wouldn’t have shot so poorly I would have limited out on the sharp tails and had one more hun.3AE5A1C7-1E86-41CE-8303-18AA0F6A3FEB.jpeg

Maeve cooling her buns right before it was time to get back in the truck.

Over all it was an amazing day. Neither me nor the dog has hunted in two years. She did amazing. It amazed me how it all came back to her.

My FB golden girls never have lacked prey drive in the field. A friend noted they were not built with an OFF switch while hunting. I need a dog that is hunting as hard on the last hour of the last day as the first hour of the first day. Many kids in hunters safety classes really enjoyed the show they provided as I would let a wing clipped rooster run off, wait 5-7 minutes. Then the fun begins. Never failed to return a pissed off rooster. Enjoy the season. God Bless. The nose knows.

Last edited:
My FB golden girls never have lacked prey drive in the field. A friend noted they were not built with an OFF switch while hunting. I need a dog that is hunting as hard on the last hour of the last day as the first hour of the first day. Many kids in hunters safety classes really enjoyed the show they provided as I would let a wing clipped rooster run off, wait 5-7 minutes. Then the fun begins. Never failed to return a pissed off rooster. Enjoy the season. God Bless. The nose knows.
HA! Sometimes I think my little golden would prefer I wound a bird over killing it so she can take it out like a 45lb bowling ball.

Back