First KS Upland Hunt Jan '22, Hopefully

Birdhuntr1

I've been wanting for years to get out to Kansas to hunt pheasant but other hunts and sometimes just life have prevented my doing so.

Last summer I was invited to join in with friends planning a KS turkey hunt for this year. I'm happy to say it went well. Took my first Rios, in fact filled both tags with one shot! We went with an outfitter, and I had thought about booking with them for pheasant this winter. Upon arrival it was clear that as good as the hunting was, the accommodations were just the opposite. Returning to hunt with them os oit of the question. Google searching hasn't found an outfitter interested in a single hunter.

So, I'm sitting on a license that's good through pheasant season and want to get just a couple of days use out of it in January. I'm scouring WIHA maps. To tell the truth, I don't know what I should be looking for from these satellite images. Any input in deciphering the correct terrain from overhead images would be greatly appreciated.

If the weather cooperates enough for 2 or 3 days on the ground plus travel there and back, I'm going to give it a try on my own. Worst case I'll have made more memories🙂

I've been wanting for years to get out to Kansas to hunt pheasant but other hunts and sometimes just life have prevented my doing so.

Last summer I was invited to join in with friends planning a KS turkey hunt for this year. I'm happy to say it went well. Took my first Rios, in fact filled both tags with one shot! We went with an outfitter, and I had thought about booking with them for pheasant this winter. Upon arrival it was clear that as good as the hunting was, the accommodations were just the opposite. Returning to hunt with them os oit of the question. Google searching hasn't found an outfitter interested in a single hunter.

So, I'm sitting on a license that's good through pheasant season and want to get just a couple of days use out of it in January. I'm scouring WIHA maps. To tell the truth, I don't know what I should be looking for from these satellite images. Any input in deciphering the correct terrain from overhead images would be greatly appreciated.

If the weather cooperates enough for 2 or 3 days on the ground plus travel there and back, I'm going to give it a try on my own. Worst case I'll have made more memories🙂
Get a hunting atlas or get the app. It's a great way to start.

I've found an outfitter that can take on a solo hunter in January. Thank you all for your help.
4 of us went in January of '21, hunted all WIHA. As has been said late season birds are tough but boot leather and persistence works. We hunted 5 days , killed a few pheasants , quail and chickens. Had a great time and will be back January '22. What outfitter are you using?

4 of us went in January of '21, hunted all WIHA. As has been said late season birds are tough but boot leather and persistence works. We hunted 5 days , killed a few pheasants , quail and chickens. Had a great time and will be back January '22. What outfitter are you using?
PM sent.

I've hunted KS 3 times now in December, twice solo, and gotten my butt kicked each time but I had a blast. I have seen birds each time but be prepared to put in the work. I'd be more successful if my gun shot straight.

Back