First intro to birds question (novice with a Vizsla)

pnsballard

All...could use some advice/tips/tricks. I am not sure if I should be concerned yet but here goes:
I have a Vizsla I've been training (I'm new at this) since a pup--he's 24mos in September. I have him doing whoa, fetching, heel, not gun shy, loves to work a field and the yard, etc. However, we have not been on birds except wings on rods and pheasant scented/feather covered dummies (just hasn't worked out til now). Went out this week for the first time on pigeons in launchers but with people he did not know and two other dogs (brits--great breed) he did not know. I am learning so we went last after I watched them work (so field was scented up by the time we got our turn). Come my turn with Dakota and he just didn't have the drive I expected. He wanted to chase the other dogs, check out the new people (including the 10 year old) and just wasn't "on his game" and I think it throttled back his "birdiness". Could it be I have a "less birdie" dogs or is the first time out typically a crap shoot? He wasn't too excited about the pigeon I dangled in front of him either and the launcher spooked him a bit. Do I just keep going and try it solo and see what happens or is this something I need to worry about? Maybe I just need to keep walking fields chasing wild birds. Appreciate some sage advice.

Where to start....

He's 2 yrs old..... You should have had him around other people, dogs and birds by now.
I would take him to a game farm by yourself. Set out 3 birds (no thrower)put him on a check cord or if you can control him by collar or commands head him to the first bird and see what he does. Then the next and then the next. Let him alone if he bumps and chases the first two big deal but he should hopefully hold by the 3rd. If not you have have to put him on a check cord and teach him to hold or point.
I have a ton of questions but give that a try. I have owned 6 Viz's and still hunt 3. The last one at a year old went to ND with me last year and did great! I hunt all 3, 2 at a time. Post what he did.... We need to get him hunting this fall for sure.

He's 2 yrs old..... You should have had him around other people, dogs and birds by now.
I would take him to a game farm by yourself. Set out 3 birds (no thrower)put him on a check cord or if you can control him by collar or commands head him to the first bird and see what he does. Then the next and then the next. Let him alone if he bumps and chases the first two big deal but he should hopefully hold by the 3rd. If not you have have to put him on a check cord and teach him to hold or point.
I have a ton of questions but give that a try. I have owned 6 Viz's and still hunt 3. The last one at a year old went to ND with me last year and did great! I hunt all 3, 2 at a time. Post what he did.... We need to get him hunting this fall for sure.

Maybe I understated it. I haven't had him hidden away for two years. We've walked a lot of PLOTs around Minot, and there are plenty of people (in non-hunting sessions) and neighborhood dogs. I just had not worked him in a field situation with other people and dogs. He has stalked and pointed wing on rod/reel and he whoas well already. Unfortunately (due to time constraints) I have only had opportunity to hit geographically close PLOTS and the brood count seems to be down because we have yet to scare up a pheasant. I'm going to take him to a PLOT I was told about the other day that apparently has a bunch of sharpies on it right now. I need to find a game farm close to me. I don't know of any off hand. I will try to give your tip a try as well as try to get another opportunity with planted birds only without the crowd this time. Thanks!

North of Hwy 2 there will not be many pheasants, but sharptails should be around.

This time of year it is legal to run your hunting dog. Get out and work your dog on private land you have permission to be on or Game management areas.

It also seems like you are have a tough time figuring out where ND's upland birds live most of the day.

Once grouse season starts. Drive around evenings and watch for partridge, grouse or pheasants along the roads and field edges.

Don't pop them off the road.

Once they fly out to cover and the land is not posted you can pursue them in ND. Make careful observations of the land and habitats the birds are using. This is where you need to focus on hunting.

Took him out this evening and worked him with last year's grouse I kept for training--slightly thawed. TOTALLY different dog. Drive was there, wanted the bird BAD. Retrieved nicely. Tried the old wing on my rod/reel game (haven't done that since he was approx 8mos and he stalked/pointed was whoaing beautifully. We're going out early tomorrow with the grouse and going to Ambush kennels at 11. I'm thinking the other day there was simply too much new stuff going on with a high-use field and it was too much too soon. I need to ease him up to that I believe over the next couple of weeks. We'll see. Will post results tomorrow. Thanks for advice/tips/tricks. I'm learning and he's teaching me as well.

Went out this AM and worked in a PLOT and then took him to a local pro trainer who was mentored by Tom Dokken. He says he's fine for a Viz just needs some more work. I have more intro to do than I realized. The other day was too much too soon. Just have to hunker down and get a little work in every day until opening day.

Enjoy your Viz

I got my Viz at 6 months. He started hunting at 7 months and we had an interesting first year. Sounds like your guy is a willing hunting partner so I say just get into some good cover and enjoy him. We come to N.D. from MI the first week of Nov. and enjoy ourselves very much. Great state and great people. It took me two days to figure this guy Plots was not the largest farmer in N.D. If he is the biggest farmer then he must hunt on someone else's land. If you are just getting started hunting birds, maybe you don't need to compare your dog to field champions. At the end of the day it's about what a great time you had together. Remember if you do get envolved with elite crowd, you have the best looking dog in the pack.

I got my Viz at 6 months. He started hunting at 7 months and we had an interesting first year. Sounds like your guy is a willing hunting partner so I say just get into some good cover and enjoy him. We come to N.D. from MI the first week of Nov. and enjoy ourselves very much. Great state and great people. It took me two days to figure this guy Plots was not the largest farmer in N.D. If he is the biggest farmer then he must hunt on someone else's land. If you are just getting started hunting birds, maybe you don't need to compare your dog to field champions. At the end of the day it's about what a great time you had together. Remember if you do get envolved with elite crowd, you have the best looking dog in the pack.

:cheers: Roger that! The trainer today was remarking how good looking he was. In the end I don't mind he is not busting them up at the moment because he is awesome to watch just working the field.

Good to see you have him with a trainer too. I have to tell you (TESS) my one dog she acted at first not to be birdie. Sometimes she would walk be hind me even. This is when there weren't many pheasants around. Minnesota. But when I started to go to ND she just blossom into the best hunting dog that I thought ever lived.
Getting them on birds is the most important thing for a dog. And your right if I didn't like eating pheasants I would put my gun away and just watch the dog work.
I think what else is cool to have dogs honor another dog. I have one that does it. I never trained her but it is cool to see.I also like it because when I am hunting 2 dogs I don't have to worry where she is when I am walking up on the pointing dog and also I have another set of eyes to see where the bird dropped. Enjoy!

Good to see you have him with a trainer too. I have to tell you (TESS) my one dog she acted at first not to be birdie. Sometimes she would walk be hind me even. This is when there weren't many pheasants around. Minnesota. But when I started to go to ND she just blossom into the best hunting dog that I thought ever lived.
Getting them on birds is the most important thing for a dog. And your right if I didn't like eating pheasants I would put my gun away and just watch the dog work.
I think what else is cool to have dogs honor another dog. I have one that does it. I never trained her but it is cool to see.I also like it because when I am hunting 2 dogs I don't have to worry where she is when I am walking up on the pointing dog and also I have another set of eyes to see where the bird dropped. Enjoy!

In a typical fall/winter I kill just as many pheasants in MN each year as ND. :)

Went out this AM and worked in a PLOT and then took him to a local pro trainer who was mentored by Tom Dokken. He says he's fine for a Viz just needs some more work. I have more intro to do than I realized. The other day was too much too soon. Just have to hunker down and get a little work in every day until opening day.

Patience is key to hunting dogs. You cannot rush them. I am glad things are turning the corner for you and your dog.

PLOTS are technically not open to running dogs or dog training when the hunting season is closed ... must ask for permission (written) of the land owner.

In a typical fall/winter I kill just as many pheasants in MN each year as ND. :)

Well what can I say..... Where I hunt in Minnesota (where I live) I have fewer pheasants then where I hunt in ND. My point was the more birds you get your dog into is better and I guess that's a given also really.... I guess your point is there are just as many pheasants in MN as where you hunt in ND. If that was me I would not go to ND that is for sure.
I never go over my Limit either if I did I too would shoot about the same but the daily limit is different and so is the possession. MN 2and 6 and ND 3and 15 :cheers:

Well what can I say..... Where I hunt in Minnesota (where I live) I have fewer pheasants then where I hunt in ND. My point was the more birds you get your dog into is better and I guess that's a given also really.... I guess your point is there are just as many pheasants in MN as where you hunt in ND. If that was me I would not go to ND that is for sure.
I never go over my Limit either if I did I too would shoot about the same but the daily limit is different and so is the possession. MN 2and 6 and ND 3and 15 :cheers:

I hunt MN in December. Daily limit is 3. :)

I hunt ND because that is where I grew up and we hunt mixed bag; ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse .... crane, partridge ...

I hunt MN in December. Daily limit is 3. :)

I hunt ND because that is where I grew up and we hunt mixed bag; ducks, geese, pheasants, grouse .... crane, partridge ...

I got a crane lic. once but could never get close to them. I never hunted them before. I don't even know if you use decoys or what....

Patience is key to hunting dogs. You cannot rush them. I am glad things are turning the corner for you and your dog.

PLOTS are technically not open to running dogs or dog training when the hunting season is closed ... must ask for permission (written) of the land owner.

Actually, its legal in August. Don't have the exact date (either 1 or 15 Aug but there is a small window of opportunity).

I assume you are aware that there are multiple types of public hunting land available in ND.

PLOT : PLOT land is private land that is leased by the NDG&F for walk-in hunting only. You can not drive into PLOT land to drop decoys nor can you train dogs on PLOT land without written permission.

Hereare some links to the 2011 rules:
http://www.gf.nd.gov/maps/plots-maps/rules-ethics.pdf
http://www.gf.nd.gov/multimedia/news/2010/09/PLOTS Regs.html?print=y

This was made effective on October 2010. No dog training during closed season on PLOT land without landowners written permission.

GMA : Game Management Areas are state owned public land areas. Persons can train bird dogs on GMAs except for the time period between April 1 and August 15th each year. This is done to protect nesting game birds. Professional dog trainers CANNOT train on NDG&F GMAs !

You CAN train your dog on GMAs at this time.

There are also ND State School Lands, National Wildlife Refuges, USF&WS Waterfowl Production Areas and US National Grasslands. Each type of land has its own set of rules governing tresspass and hunting. Add in private land and there is endless opportunity.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the rule applied to all the areas. Unfortunately the closest MA to me seems to be Garrison dam and Lake Audobon area. That's a good 1hr drive so not very convenient. There are a few unmarked areas close to me so I'll probably stick to that. There is a nice "field condition" spot on base too that's a couple of blocks away just won't be able to kill pigeons there.

Been to a couple of pros in the last week and we've determined he has it in him. The switch really turned on Wednesday evening. Had him on pheasant hens in launchers and he tried to jump and catch the 2d one when she launched. Was pointing again (not with style, might work that but not too concerned about that) and using his nose. Chased a few through the woods next to the house and get him around a pheasant coop with them flushing all over the place. He chased them all around the pen and first site of the pen he locked up and didn't move for a good couple of minutes. We had to snap him out of it to move in closer. Just have to keep at it and get him on a good dozen or more pigeons from launchers and dizzied up without launchers prior to opening day. I've posted pics of Dakota on my profile. Everywhere I take him, I get a lot of remarks about how good he looks. Check him out.

Back