First duck hunt

WI ditch chicken

This happened just today. Its opening weekend of duck hunting in the northern zone. I brought my dog Remi out with us. I've been working with her all summer on water stuff. she is a started dog and well on her way to being a good retreiver. Saturday was not a good day for our group. I didnt fire my gun at all and the rest of them didnt hit anything.

This morning our group was short one. my sister in law went deer hunting instead. The rest of us went back to the same slough. It was my brother a friend of ours and I Our friend Larry had his dog Teal Along as well.

We Sat in cover waiting for shooting light. The decoys speckeled the water in front of us. The air had a cool bite to it. the slough came to life as the light began to stream in from behind us. My excitment and nerves were high.

The first few flocks were in and gone quickly before shooting light. Then Barry said it was time and the shooting in the pot holes around us began. The first single came in and landed next to the decoys. I saw the splash but lost it on the inky black water. It took off and flew away unscathed. The second came and sat in the same area as the first but I didnt lose it this time. I shot and it was dead on the water. Both Remi and Teal went out for it. Larry called Teal back to see if Remi would bring the bird back. She made it out there and was about 5 yards right of the bird. I got here to look back at me and told her over with my left hand. She turned and started right for it I looked at my brother with shook. I had not done a lot of hand signaling or casting to one side or the other with her but by george she was headed right for that duck. She was about a body length away And turned slightly looked at it as she swam by and grabed onto the decoy just to the other side of the duck and started to bring that back. I told her to release but she didnt and brought that damn decoy back to me and was so very proud of herself for doing so. We threw rocks at the duck to get Teal to remark and retrieve.

We had another one for Remi to try again. My Brother Hit a duck in the air and it promptly folded and fell to the water. Remi saw it all and had no problem swimming out to that one and bringing it back. I was so excited that she did it and very proud of her. She retrived three ducks and one decoy in total today and I was very happy.

Sorry fellas I dont have any photos of her and her first ducks but I do have witnesses.

Scott

sounds like a typical dog always trying to tell you that they are the boss that was a great story hopefully you will have many mmorew water retrieves

I like hearing stories like that ditch chicken :thumbsup:, we will heading up next week with our chessie to duck hunt I am hoping to see some birds around the Madison area good luck the rest of the season

Good story, even though I don't duck hunt , I still enjoyed it.........Bob

Back