First Day of Official Training

bones

My pup and I have been doing some obedience at the house and playing fetch but nothing serious. Got a wild hair and took her out to some open area not too far away to see what she had in her.

She has had a natural retrieve from day one so there was little bit of an expectation. Got out there and put her on the check cord at first to let her stretch her legs and she did fairly well. Found a point far enough from roads to make me comfortable and let her off the lead. She stood right by me until I threw her Pheseant dummy. A quick retrieve straight back to me; I was impressed. Threw the dummy for a while with excellent results. Decided to see if she would walk with me without the leash. Wow first time no training and right out in front out to fifty yards quartering back and forth. Out at range she checked back to make sure it was ok, just like she had always known to do it.

Walked her back to the car in some thicker cover she managed to point doves and find her dummy by scent when I threw it blind. Can't wait to see what a real trainer can do with the raw talent she has. Gonna head out with her tomorrow to see if it was just a fluke or if she is real prodigy.

Back