First chicks of the year

JO BO

Just saw first of the year chicks but was a fun watch for other reasons.. A badger crossed the field and entered the ditch and mother hen and one chick bolted. And a pheasant rooster was there as well the badger chased the hen across the road and all the way across another field with rooster running alongside him not sure what he was doing. They went in tall grass and saw both pheasants jumping up and down like they were in battle. Not sure why neither ever took flight. After a bit both pheasants emerge and hen comes back looking for chicks. I saw 9 cross the road looking for her... that was a fun watch

Last edited:
Was trying so hard to get my phone out of my pocket . Get the car stopped and start filming but haste made waste and didn’t get any of the good parts.

Got to watch 2 hens with broods crossing the road from soybean field to crp stand tonight. Groups were about 100 feet apart and crossed nearly at the same time. First group had 2/3 size of mom birds 15 of them. Second group 1/2 size of mom and 12 of them so very large broods as hatch and survival rate to this point has been above the charts for those 2 groups anyway. All looked very healthy . Also saw several roosters milling around and a couple roosters just coming into color as they must have been very early hatched. Nice to see

Got to watch 2 hens with broods crossing the road from soybean field to crp stand tonight. Groups were about 100 feet apart and crossed nearly at the same time. First group had 2/3 size of mom birds 15 of them. Second group 1/2 size of mom and 12 of them so very large broods as hatch and survival rate to this point has been above the charts for those 2 groups anyway. All looked very healthy . Also saw several roosters milling around and a couple roosters just coming into color as they must have been very early hatched. Nice to see
What part of the state?

Back