Find Place to Hunt

71chevy

I am new to Kansas and live in Pratt. I was looking to a place to hunt and wonder if anyone had any tips.
Thanks alot!!!!!!!

Places to Hunt

I am new to Kansas and live in Pratt. I was looking to a place to hunt and wonder if anyone had any tips.
Thanks alot!!!!!!!

Kansas has over one million acres of private land enrolled in the walk-in hunting program which allows any licensed hunter to hunt there. There is no extra fee to hunt on walk-in. The 2008-9 season atlas showing all walk-in and other public hunting land is available now about everywhere you can buy a hunting license, or order one from the KDWP. Have a great season.

71Chevy-

First, welcome to the forum.

Now for a place to hunt there are plenty and as mentioned the WIHA provides lots of opportunities. Kansas has a low percentage of fee hunting amongst the private land, which comprises most of the Kansas ag land, so getting acquainted with some farmers can pay dividends.

There are a couple of public hunting areas in your backyard that I have hunted over the years with good success. Pratt Sand Hills is over 4,000 acres(as I recall) and can be a good quail covert. Right next door is the Texas Lake Wildlife Area, that has ponds for waterfowl hunting, but is also a good pheasant and quail area. All of Texas Lake is non-toxic shot. Be sure to check any recent regs posted at the areas.

Good hunting,

Back