Finally!!!

Jubilee

Looks like this Friday evening/early Saturday morning we will finally be making our annual trip out "west". Seems to get later and later every year. This year our group has dwindled down to just two of us as everyone else has family obligations or something else going on. We will be meeting up with some "family"/friends and hope to find at least a couple roosters, we know we will stumble onto some quail along the way, but that really isn't what we are after. We have quail near home to chase. The dogs know something is up as I pulled the trailer up by their pen last night to kick the tires and make sure the lights still work (Only use the trailer for trips out west, the rest of the time we just use dog boxes). My pointer just howled with delight as she knew what was coming.

Looks like this Friday evening/early Saturday morning we will finally be making our annual trip out "west". Seems to get later and later every year. This year our group has dwindled down to just two of us as everyone else has family obligations or something else going on. We will be meeting up with some "family"/friends and hope to find at least a couple roosters, we know we will stumble onto some quail along the way, but that really isn't what we are after. We have quail near home to chase. The dogs know something is up as I pulled the trailer up by their pen last night to kick the tires and make sure the lights still work (Only use the trailer for trips out west, the rest of the time we just use dog boxes). My pointer just howled with delight as she knew what was coming.

Ha! I love it when the dogs figure things out. I always feel like it sparks something deep inside them -- they're gonna do what they NEED to do.

Have a great hunt and then post some fotos and tales here.

Yep, she's been nursing a small cut on one of her back legs and hadn't been putting much weight on it, but when the trailer came out, she "magically" was able to run around with all 4 legs seeming to operate without issue. I guess she didn't want to be left behind. (I would have canceled my trip if she wasn't "healed up enough to go, this is her bread and butter, wouldn't seem right going without her)

Yep, she's been nursing a small cut on one of her back legs and hadn't been putting much weight on it, but when the trailer came out, she "magically" was able to run around with all 4 legs seeming to operate without issue. I guess she didn't want to be left behind. (I would have canceled my trip if she wasn't "healed up enough to go, this is her bread and butter, wouldn't seem right going without her)

Had the same issue with my lab when we first started training her. She was limping around on her back right paw, not putting any weight on it. Dad and I decided on an evening hunt one day, and as we pulled out her orange vest, she went NUTS. Loaded her in the truck, and kicked up 3 birds in under 30 minutes. You would have never guessed she was limping by her performance that day

A lot of miles were put on my boots over the weekend. The dogs are still wore out. But we were able to bag a few roosters on Saturday in the wind. Sunday was a vastly different story, in what would thought would be a perfect day to be in the field. Only 1 pheasant was actually seen Sunday morning.

Back