Finally Here

McGeeOJ

Hello everyone. Some of you may remember and most of you probably do not. Made it here to Salt Lake City from Charleston, South Carolina and looking to find some people to bird hunt and fish with. I had to sell my whaler when I left but I bought a nice aluminum duck boat that I am fixing up for duck/fish. However, I am excited to get into upland game and seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get into it or meeting people who might need/want a helping hand out in the field. Do people with farms ever take kindly to individuals helping them on their land in exchange for hunting/fishing privileges? My wife and I are both counselors in the area and we recently got a place in Sugarhouse and have been hiking and getting the lay of the land. I am anxious to meet, hunt and fish with like minded people. Thank you all for your time and I look forward to your replies.

JM

Upland game hunting

Hey, I was browsing for some new areas to hunt in Northern Utah and stumbled across this website. I've been in Utah since 2002, but I've only been hunting for about 3 years now. My current boss was kind of my mentor and has taught me some dog training techniques and what to look for to find birds. I have only hunted upland game and have done more hunting in Wyoming for sage grouse than in Utah. Over the last couple of years, I've taken my dog out during season and have hiked my ass off going to different areas to find birds. The Wasatch mountains in the north do have birds, but they can be difficult to find mainly due to a lot of the good land in the mountains being privately owned. However, there are still thousands of acres available in the North and last season I finally stumbled into some Ruffs in that mountain range. However, I went to the same area and hunted miles around it in the weeks following my first encounter and didn't come across another bird. That's not saying they weren't around. I know how difficult it can be to get people to show you the ropes when it comes to hunting, but being that I usually go out solo anyway, I don't mind if you wanted to join me and I can show you what I know. My knowledge in this area is very limited, but it's something. As you probably know by reading forums, if you want to find birds, you have to put in the miles. I at least know where to put in the miles. I've met countless people that have "sweet" spots for birds in the mountains, but as soon as you even ask for an area to hunt, they look at you like you just asked for their first born son. I really hate that. The season opens next weekend on the 1st of September, so if you want to head up into the mountains and hike your ass off to maybe get some birds, let me know and I'll tell you where you can meet me.

their is always room for more in my camp....i have some private land access and know where to go on public to find birds

Hey

You seem a lot more experienced than I am. I'm hoping to get into some unfamiliar areas this season for grouse and maybe even hunt pheasant. I've yet to have hunted pheasant, but I would love to give it a try. If you are willing to maybe meet for a day in the mountains and bestow some Utah Bird Hunting knowledge on me I would appreciate. I'm always looking to learn and discover new areas, techniques, and tips. I live in Ogden, so if you live in Farr West, it should be easy for us to coordinate a meeting.

Last edited:
Partner?

Hey Bud I also hunt solo and am looking for a partner to hunt Utah. I hunt everything and have my own equipment and a truck to drive my share. Lets hook up. I live in Eagle Mountain Utah.

Back