Finally got out for IL roosters!

1pheas4

The stars lined up for me the other day.:thumbsup: I had about an hour before work to get out and work a hot spot for wild birds! This would be my first time out on IL roosters for the season:eek:

So, I came up around the bend, dog ready to rock and roll, gun in hand and.........DIRT!!!!

The habitat is GONE and there's nothing but dirt.:(

I have another area I hope to hit this coming week. I know that's still in place.

Sorry for the let down. No pheasant or habitat pictures with this one:(. I figured everyone can open their eyes in a dark room and that's about what I was staring at. Black dirt.

we got our limit at COL again today. Need something new..getting a little old in there. Sometimes I just get lazy as its 2 minutes away but...
There certainly were some 'characters' in there today.
Good luck at your next spot - hope it has better cover!

Mike,

I was thinking about heading to the chain next week. I'm looking for something "new" as well since I've been to Silver Springs quite a few times. What Parking numbers (areas) do you like? I'm interested in good cover for the dog. Dont like hunting the woods there. Any suggestions is appreciated.

Bob

Next weekend is the last weekend there. I'll be there Saturday again.
What kind of dog do you have? Big runner or?
Im somewhat the opposite - I tend to hit the tight stuff that most guys dont like. It keeps me away from the crowds. I can probably tell you something about every area, Ive been there so much.
1-6 have the most grass - open areas. But after 30 minutes you can go anywhere.

I have a small Munsterlander (Pointer) so the grass appeals to me. Maybe head up Midweek. Thanks for the info.

Bob

we got our limit at COL again today. Need something new..getting a little old in there. Sometimes I just get lazy as its 2 minutes away but...
There certainly were some 'characters' in there today.
Good luck at your next spot - hope it has better cover!

As you already know, it's better than nothing. That close to home helps too. But yeah, it can get old fast. God willing, this fed land goes through for us as it should, we'll finally have some suitable pheasant hunting around here. It's still going to be a while but like COL, the fed lands will be right out your door.:)

I'm really hoping that glacier park will be open along with the other surrounding county lands once the fed lands are established. Some of those properties are going to have very good bird #'s in the coming years. The county is doing a great job on grasslands right now! Even on their ag lands they're installing very nice grassy hedgerows. All good for wild birds in the area.

Ive put up a few in Glacier in the past. Had no idea it was even being considered...
I have an extra permit on Sat. if youre interested

Ive put up a few in Glacier in the past. Had no idea it was even being considered...
I have an extra permit on Sat. if youre interested

Thank you (!) for your offer UplandHntr but I'll be working on Saturday:( I'm on baby duty today so I have to make up for lost work/time on Saturday.

This family thing has changed everything "hunting". lol Ah, it's all good though.:)

Do you any of you live in central ill. I would like to find someone to hunt with me next saturday at moraine view state park. I hunt there every weekend, i have a brittany.

Back