Finally,chicks!!

ROCK

While out dog training this past Sunday,the dog pointed a group of four pheasant chicks about the size of small chukar.I've seen nothing but roosters while taking the back roads to the training grounds and was getting woried that with the weather we've had this year,the hatch would be bad.Nice to see some nests hatched out.

good to hear an early hatch made it through all those heavy rains.

I haven't worked any fields with dogs since last March. I'm paranoid the dog may bump onto a nest or very young chicks (I've unintentionally had it happen before). Just walking on trails I've seen some nice roosters. Like you, I haven't seen any hens either. Though I know they are out there.

Thanks for the update

I've been out looking at dusting areas in the past two months. Observing feathers left behind it's looking like it may be a season similar to last year. Few young birds.

Almost all dusting pots have feathers left behind from adult birds. Only a few contain feathers from young birds.

We're over due for a good spring hatch. Our carry over through the winter wasn't all that bad. It's those dowsing spring rains that are effecting our bird #'s.

Back