field trials?

hey i live in northwest illinois. whiteside county. i wanted to know if any of you knew about and field trails going on or that are around yearly around here . would like to start getting the pointer into them.. thanks

You need to subscribe to "The American Field" , published weekly in Chicago. It lists all of the field trials for pointy type dogs.

NB

Since you have a pointing dog you should really check out NSTRA. Below are the web sites for both NSTRA and the Illinois region of NSTRA. If you go to the NSTRA site you can check out other regions around you for trial also.

http://www.nstra.org/

http://www.nstraill.com/

There aren't any trials in the summer but they will get going again in September.

ok thanks...and im new to the whole field trail thing never have ran dogs in them before but i have a dog thats two now that shows alot of potential . and it would be something i would like to get into .. now do i have to join a assosiation or club to be in these or what ?

To run your dog in NSTRA trials you have to be a member of NSTRA which costs $50 per year. The NSTRA trials are closer to actual hunting than any trial you will find. They are fun events and you don't have to have a champion caliber dog to have fun. I would suggest that you find a couple NSTRA trials in your area to attend and observe. Ask questions and find out how they function, what you need to do to ready your dog for the competition, etc. If you talk to participants at the trials and tell them you are interested in joining and running your dog they will be more than happy to help you in any way possible. At least that has always been my experience. Once in awhile you will find a region that puts on a "Fun Trial" so people can try it and see if it's something for them. There is a lot of information on the NSTRA web site and I'm sure you will find some on the Illinois Region site also. Maybe you can locate someone in your area that runs dogs in NSTRA. they can be a wealth of information for you. Good luck!

Most NSTRA trials are a Double/Double. What that means is they run two fields (A field & B field) for two days. The most you can run is one time on each field each day, which would be 4 runs for the weekend. Or you can elect to only run one day on each field. Most trials I've been to, and I can't believe Illinois would be any different, charge $40 per run.

Hi P.H.F.,I live on the south side of Chicago and am a member of Northern Illinois NSTRA.We lease some fantastic ground from a hunt club called Rooster Heaven, just south of Dwight,IL. which is where we hold our trials.We will start our fall season this August.Our entry fee is $37 per run.We will be having a intro to NSTRA day in July.There will be a meeting at the huntclub's lodge where we will explain what NSTRA is about,rules.etc and then go to our trial grounds and give a demo,with two experienced dogs of how the trial is run,you are more than welcome to bring your dog with because we will plant birds in the field and have a NSTRA judge walk with you and evaluate your dog!Afterward,we will go back to the lodge and have lunch.We will be having an amateur division begining this fall for first time handlers and their dogs which is a great way to get your feet wet in NSTRA.
The event,birds over your dog and lunch will be free.When I know the date I will post it A.S.A.P

ROCK, that is a fantasic way to get new people introduced to NSTRA. I commend you and your region on the good work. If our friend, PHF, wants to learn about NSTRA this would be a great opportunity and I would highly recommend he take advantage of it.

hey i live in northwest illinois. whiteside county. i wanted to know if any of you knew about and field trails going on or that are around yearly around here . would like to start getting the pointer into them.. thanks

Check out UFTA. Very hard to get cheated in UFTA.;)
Some formats take style of a point or back. Not everyone likes the samething in a dog if you get my drift.

ok thanks rock ! give me dates and i might jus come to watch for the first time to try to get the hang of it... im really going to be perfectly tunning my dog so i think i might wait for now and just get him fully ready .,... but give me dates and im sure i will probably be there!

BB1,I know exactly what your saying,I use to run in the Wisc. Series,Illinois Upland and Ufta.Was afraid to run NSTRA because I have vizslas.There might be ten vizslas,if that,running in NSTRA throughout the country right now and figured they would be looked down on because the're not pointers,setters ,brits or GSPs,but as a NSTRA judge told me,the dog with the most finds wins,not the most stylish one.I have placed with two different vizslas,so I realized that that your statement isn't always true,at least in our chapter.

Last edited:
ok thanks rock ! give me dates and i might jus come to watch for the first time to try to get the hang of it... im really going to be perfectly tunning my dog so i think i might wait for now and just get him fully ready .,... but give me dates and im sure i will probably be there!

PHF and anyone else interrested,the date for the N.IL. NSTRA open house will be Sunday,July 24th at 8am.
Please call Frank Susi at 1-815-588-1377 to reserve you spot.
Directions to Rooster Heaven Hunt Club- www.roosterheaven.com

Purcel 41,our first trial is September 10th. and 11th. at our leased grounds at Rooster Heaven hunt club.The rest of our schedule can be found at
http:www.nstra.org/northern.htm This trial is always a big trial and there will be plenty of people who would be happy to answer any questions you may have.PM me if interested and I will help anyway I can as well.Directions to Rooster Heaven hunt club can be found at www.roosterheaven.com

Thanks for info. I have a wedding that weekend but I am still interested in upcoming events.. I will look up your website and check it out. Are the events on your website open to the public to come and watch?

Absolutely!!Spectators are always welcome.We have a platform built between the two fields that you can stand on and safely get a good view of both fields during the trials.

Back