Feeding deer corn......

hunter94

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...l.3b0db39.html

i suspect this is not common in the northern states pheasant/quail range as feeding is done from local feed stocks and scattered on the ground, but it is interesting what is possibly going on in Texas where deer feeders are as common as fence posts....crazy, buy a feeder, dispense corn, deer come in on a daily basis to feed.....bam! got one!......never could understand how this qualifies as "hunting".......oh well.

i suspect this is not common in the northern states pheasant/quail range as feeding is done from local feed stocks and scattered on the ground, but it is interesting what is possibly going on in Texas where deer feeders are as common as fence posts....crazy, buy a feeder, dispense corn, deer come in on a daily basis to feed.....bam! got one!......never could understand how this qualifies as "hunting".......oh well.

LOL, yea I hear ya. Up here in da nort land. Many do feed them supplemental food during tough winters. But it is illegal to do so during deer season or hunt by it. How ever many so called hunters simply plant standing corn patches and justify baiting as a standard farming practice. LOL, Funny when none ever gets hauled to the elevator. People can sort of be a hypocrite that way. I see nothing wrong with a food plot or a corn pile. But to be fair if you won't allow a hunter by one, then you should have to stay away from another as well. Say hunt 200 feet or something from any man planted food source, corn, clover or what ever. If it ain't natural U cant hunt in or over it. How is a 20 acre corn patch left for baiting, different from a 10 bushel pile of corn really. This debate always has 2 sides but there is no difference in either method of baiting. One man thinks hes OK and thinks the other is a slob is all. But they are the same in reality. Just hunters.

I don't see any difference in planting food plots for deer compared to planting cover for hunting pheasants. A lot of fee access farms have planted crops in strips for hunting. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. And a lot of those farmers leave some stand for winter cover and feed. Same thing as managing cover and crops on your land to support the deer herd.

Having said that, I don't agree with feeding and baiting deer. It's legal in WI to put down 2 gallons of bait, like corn and guys bait stands for hunting. But the practice turns many deer nocturnal, especially with any hunting pressure. then all they have to do is walk over at night, fill their bellies and go hunker down in some quiet place. You hear those hunters complain because their corn is getting eaten, but they're not seeing any deer. And then neither do I because the deers natural movement patterns have been disrupted.

The one thing about planting perennial food plots is that is gives the animals forage year round, not just hunting season. Some are especially helpful to the deer as winter is setting in after they've been chased around during the season and then in the spring when they are depleted from surviving another nort woods winter. I believe perennial plantings become part of the habitat that aids the population, whereas baiting stands is a temporary benefit at best.

A buddy of mine put in 3 food plots using clover and other perennials this year. A neighboring property is a big hunt camp for the owner of an oil company. The guy has bait all over his woods and the deer are pulled off my buddies place. So he's working to improve the habitat on his land to keep more deer in the area. He also has a timber sale on schedule for this winter that will provide years of browze and resting cover.

We have a wealth of public land here and I hunt public land for deer, as well as grouse and woodcock. I know the land, study deer sign of their movements and make an educated decision where to hunt based on those experiences. Then a few days before season some yahoo comes in on his ATV with buckets of corn, dumps a bunch down and puts up a stand. Now he's got "ownership" of the area and even though I may have been sitting there for years I'm not going to move him.

On the above link, "Page Not Found"

The article on "Feed Deer Corn" link below:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ser/stories/020710dnsposassercol.3b0db39.html

r. It's legal in WI to put down 2 gallons of bait, like corn and guys bait stands for hunting. But the practice turns many deer nocturnal, especially with any hunting pressure. then all they have to do is walk over at night, fill their bellies and go hunker down in some quiet place. You hear those hunters complain because their corn is getting eaten, but they're not seeing any deer. And then neither do I because the deers natural movement patterns have been disrupted.
Nah. The pressure is simply to blame IMO and it just happens to coincide with bait being placed. Here in the southern 1/2 of MI feeding deer at any time of the year is 100% illegal and has been for a few years now, but they still go nocturnal. :thumbsup: :(

Then a few days before season some yahoo comes in on his ATV with buckets of corn, dumps a bunch down and puts up a stand. Now he's got "ownership" of the area and even though I may have been sitting there for years I'm not going to move him.
I absolutely hate that also (someone trying to lay claim a spot on state land).

As for the original comment that started this thread, FCSpringer said it best...
But they are the same in reality. Just hunters.
I'll support any legal hunting method even if it isn't my chosen method.

guess i put this in the wrong forum?? anyway, the part i was hoping most would take away was the issue of some unknowingly feeding contaminated corn, not the issue of baiting...oh well.......

I've seen deer killed by that. Of bigger concern is the easy transmission of diseases--like the CWD that WI has spent millions on and the tuberculosis that MI has spent big $$ on--not to mention the hardship and pain such diseases bring to hunters--when deer feed out of the same pile or trough.

It's not natural, and differs in many important ways from a food plot.

LOL, I can see not hunting by food, but then you cant hunt by food..... standing in a neat row or any where. CWD has now showed up "AFTER" you stopped us from feeding our wild life. Do the math. Like a deer can't lick a dang corn cob as they walk along a row as another, do you know how many times I seen deer eating the same cob on the plant while bow hunting. It is a stupid therory..... It allows the rich to plant big plots and the small land owner with not much room have his deer move over there is what it really does. Now yes I don't agree sitting on bait is the right thing, but then you get out of that food plot too. Only seems fair. Otherwise it's just another hypocrite talking.

Well the latest deer disease issue is another thing entirely. Surprise surprise, CWD pops up for the first time in wild deer in MN--right next to a bunch of captive elk herds, including one that had to be destroyed because they had CWD!

Now if you want to run to your legislator and suggest that captive deer and elk facilities should be banned in MN due to the inarguable threat they provide to our wild deer and deer hunting--then I'd certainly agree with you!

Well every elk fence I see is way to high for a wild deer to get in, probably for good reason. How do you supose that deer got over this fence and got out to be caught, shot or discovered? pretty amazing feat on the deers part. Maybe the elk spit in his eye as he walked by the fence, or they shared a cob of corn through the fence. This disease has been around for a very long time off and on from what I read. Gosh yes your right we may have to take the lively hood away from many including other live stock like cattle and so on. come on.

Last edited:
Back