Feeding before the hunt?

Mostly a situation regarding timing, dog activity and heath needs....sometimes, a situation with dogs that can be too tired to eat or who exhibit different eating behaviors when on an extended trip.
Some dogs will benefit by a small handful of floated food 2-3 hours before a hunt if prone to energy-related conditions, for example.
Generally, I expect it is best to avoid the practice and watch volumes closely.
Consider there may be a genetic link to weakened stomach attachments that may worsen with age.
Play it by ear and by education, in other words.

I have seen a friend's dog go down from torsion on a hunting trip...seldom a worse deal.
Be aware of both potential benefits and possible downsides to the practice of morning feeding.

Mostly a situation regarding timing, dog activity and heath needs....sometimes, a situation with dogs that can be too tired to eat or who exhibit different eating behaviors when on an extended trip.
Some dogs will benefit by a small handful of floated food 2-3 hours before a hunt if prone to energy-related conditions, for example.
Generally, I expect it is best to avoid the practice and watch volumes closely.
Consider there may be a genetic link to weakened stomach attachments that may worsen with age.
Play it by ear and by education, in other words.

I have seen a friend's dog go down from torsion on a hunting trip...seldom a worse deal.
Be aware of both potential benefits and possible downsides to the practice of morning feeding.

Good points.

I want to also add that I ALWAYS carry honey packets. I have seen dog hit the deck with low blood sugars. So along with my first aid kit I carry honey.

But, I am a worrier. So, by the tie I have everything I need to cover every unforseen problem, I may as well leave my hunting vest and carry a military pack.:rolleyes::p

Yes...I often stick a packet of honey from breakfast in a pocket or any of several products that serve the same purpose.
My own dogs have never shown an issue but it is never good to see a dog waver and drop or convulse with sugar issues....the more we can try to assist w/o harm, the less helpless we feel....and helplessness is to be guarded against.

No posts in awhile on this thread but it's a good subject and hunting season is coming up so here's my regimen.
I have a 6 year old female Lab. One dog at a time hunter. I use Canidae because it's a very good dog food (step daughter works at a pet supply outlet and can get any kind there is and believes this is the current best brand) and because it's free to me. It's also expensive(see previous comment in para).
Off season or off day, she gets 1/2 cup in the AM and 1/2 at 5:30PM. While hunting she gets a full cup at the same schedule. Usually there is at least an hour between feeding and hunting sometime it's just walk away from the bowl and flush a bird but she has never tossed it up, had bloody stool or anything but a "What's holding you up, Old Man" attitude.
I have energy snacks that I give her periodically and after she finds a bird. I also use an energy powder on her kibble that seems to make her want to eat better late in the trip.
I carry over a gallon of water for the two of us with most going to her. If it's hot I carry more and quit hunting when we run out of water. I water her as often as she'll drink and feel I have her well hydrated when she pees occasionally.
She hunts every day for 3-6 hours during our usual 12 day trip and never lacks energy. She does run out of patience with me however.
I'm not sure that the gorging a wild animal does is a good analogy for feeding a dog before a hunt. Since it takes about as long for us to digest a meal as it does a dog I'd suggest a better example would be how long would we hunt without some calories before the morning hunt starts? I know I get the shakes and feel pooped if I don't have some peanut butter on bread before I go. I'd go but I wouldn't be hunting at my optimum without some food. I would imagine the same to be true for FIDO.

wow...you only feed 1 cup per day?

All the dog wants the night before. Nothing the morning of the hunt or until the hunting is done for the day.

I feed a 30/20 all year around adjusting quantity according to temp and activity. Always fed once a day for years. 8-9 years ago I changed to feeding twice a day, 70% in evening and 30% early morning all year except when hunting. I then cut the morning down to 15% 2-3 hours before hunting and feed small portions during breaks in hunting. I feed immediately after the days hunt adding a little canned food and warm water.
This change was due to the pointer I had at the time trying to keep weight on him and if he didn't have a little breakfast he would eat the first bird. When he passed I got a GSP and continued with this feeding pattern and it has worked great. Haven't had that first bird disappear since
I know it's against the norm but the dogs seem to prefer this method.

Back